Serie A given go-ahead by government to restart on June 20
Italy's sports minister says resumption of the league could be preceded by Coppa Italia matches one week earlier
Italy's Serie A has been given the go-ahead to restart on June 20 after being suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The country's sports minister, Vincenzo Spadafora, that there was a possibility the resumption of the league, which was stopped on March 9, could be preceded by Coppa Italia matches one week earlier.
Spadafora made the announcement after a conference call with representatives from the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), the players' association and the Serie A league.
"Italy is starting up again and it's only right that football can also get going," he told reporters, adding that the government had approved health measures suggested by the FIGC plus a backup plan in case the league had to be stopped again.
"In the light of this we can say that the championship can start again on June 20," he said.
Players returned to individual training earlier this month before group sessions restarted this week.
There are 12 rounds of matches still to play, plus four outstanding games from previous rounds.
Juventus, chasing a ninth successive Serie A title, lead that table with 63 points from 26 games, one point ahead of Lazio who are unbeaten in their last 21 league games.
Inter Milan are a further eight points behind in third with one game in hand.
The announcement came on the same day that English Premier League clubs agreed to a restart date of June 17, subject to government approval.
Updated: May 28, 2020 10:53 PM