Pep Guardiola has 'a lot of confidence' Manchester City's two-year ban will be overturned
Premier League club presented their appeal to Court of Arbitration of Sport last month
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he has a "lot of confidence and trust" that the club's two-year ban from European football will be overturned.
City's appeal against the ban was heard last month at the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) and a decision is expected by July 13.
European football's governing body Uefa claimed in February that City had committed breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations and failed to cooperate with its investigation, handing the Premier League club a ban and a €30 million (Dh123.9m) fine.
City vehemently denied the charges, with CEO Ferran Soriano insisting the club cooperated fully with the investigation and had provided “irrefutable evidence” to prove their innocence.
"We are ready, I have a lot of confidence and trust with the people that we will be allowed to play the Champions League because we want to be on the field during these years," Guardiola said.
"On July 13 we will know the resolution, hopefully, for the club - all the workers, players and everyone here, staff – to try to continue growing up as a club in the next years."
City remain very much alive in this season's Champions League having defeated Real Madrid 2-1 at the Bernabeu in the first leg of the last-16.
The return fixture was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic and there has been no confirmation about when that match at the Etihad Stadium will be played.
However, there is the prospect that City could play the second leg in Portugal, where the quarter-finals, semi-finals, and final will be played in August.
Uefa outlined plans last week that remaining last-16 ties must be played on August 7/8 at the designated home venues, and if that is not possible due to quarantine rules, then the game will be played at a Uefa-assigned stadium in Portugal.
Updated: July 5, 2020 04:29 PM