Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 17 July 2019

Manchester City 'disappointed' but 'not surprised' by Uefa decision to refer club to adjudicatory chamber over potential FFP breach

Club deny all allegations against them and hit out at 'wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed, and hostile process' of CFCB chief investigator

Manchester City players celebrate winning the Premier League title at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. Reuters
Manchester City players celebrate winning the Premier League title at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. Reuters

Manchester City say they are "disappointed" but "not surprised" by the announcement they have been referred to Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body adjudicatory chamber for judgement on whether they will face a Champions League ban or not over potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

Uefa announced on Thursday that the CFCB investigatory chamber has decided to refer the club to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber that could lead to potential disciplinary action against the recently crowned Premier League champions.

Manchester City deny all allegations against them.

“The Club Financial Control Body [CFCB] chief investigator, after having consulted with the other members of the independent investigatory chamber of the CFCB, has today decided to refer Manchester City FC to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber following the conclusion of his investigation," a Uefa statement said.

“The CFCB investigatory chamber had opened an investigation into Manchester City FC on 7 March 2019 for potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations that were made public in various media outlets.

“Uefa will not be making any further comment on the matter until a decision is announced by the CFCB adjudicatory chamber.”

Abu Dhabi-owned Manchester City immediately released a statement of their own, saying the decision came as little surprise since the news had already been leaked to the media earlier in the week and criticised the "wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed, and hostile process".

"Manchester City Football Club is disappointed, but regrettably not surprised, by the sudden announcement of the referral to be made by the CFCB IC Chief Investigator Yves Leterme," the statement said.

"The leaks to media over the last week are indicative of the process that has been overseen by Mr Leterme.

"Manchester City is entirely confident of a positive outcome when the matter is considered by an independent judicial body.

"The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC to the Chamber.

"The decision contains mistakes, misinterpretations and confusions fundamentally borne out of a basic lack of due process and there remain significant unresolved matters raised by Manchester City FC as part of what the Club has found to be a wholly unsatisfactory, curtailed, and hostile process."

City accepted a fine of £49 million in 2014 for a previous breach of regulations. Uefa and the Premier League launched an investigation into City this year after allegations made in German magazine Der Spiegel that the club broke FFP rules.

City won their fourth Premier League title in seven seasons on Sunday following a 4-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion to become the first club in 10 years to successfully defend the trophy.

Pep Guardiola's side can on Saturday complete an unprecedented English domestic treble if they beat Watford in the FA Cup final having already secured the League Cup trophy in May.

Updated: May 16, 2019 12:53 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Editor's Picks