Leicester City confirm 'low offer' from Roma for Riyad Mahrez turned down
The Algeria forward told the club he wants to leave after an underwhelming follow-up season to their title-winning campaign in 2015/16
Leicester City have rejected a bid for Riyad Mahrez, according to manager Craig Shakespeare.
The Algeria forward told the club he wants to leave after an underwhelming follow-up season to their title-winning campaign in 2015/16.
He has not handed in an official transfer request, but said earlier in the summer it was "time to move on" and that he had a gentleman's agreement with the club to do so.
The 26-year-old winger is in Hong Kong taking part in the Asia Trophy with City and, speaking to Sky Sports from the competition, Shakespeare said: "I think I was quoted on the last press day that there was no bids.
"There was a bid from Roma I was told afterwards, so I would like to put the record straight on that one.
"It was politely declined on the basis that it was a low offer. Of what that offer is, don't ask me how much because I don't know and I don't get involved in that."
Roma are on the lookout for a new forward after the departure of Mohamed Salah to Liverpool.
Harvey Barnes, 19, who made his debut in a Uefa Champions League game against Porto last season, has penned a new four-year deal.
Midfielder Barnes was part of England's victorious Toulon Tournament squad this summer and impressed while on loan at MK Dons last term.
Shakespeare said: "Harvey's a really exciting young player and it's been a real pleasure to watch him develop, particularly during the last year where he's been regularly involved in the first-team set-up.
"The way he took to his loan spell at MK Dons - his first experience of league football - speaks volumes both for his quality as a player and his maturity as a young man.
"He's a bright, gifted boy with a terrific attitude and a big future. We're delighted that future is with Leicester."
Updated: July 21, 2017 01:55 PM