Juventus striker Cristiano Ronaldo to face no charges over Las Vegas rape allegations
Ronaldo and alleged victim reached a settlement of £295,000 in 2010 through their lawyers
Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges over allegations of raping a woman in La Vegas in 2009, prosecutors say.
On June 13, Kathryn Mayorga called the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and reported that she had been the victim of sexual assault.
Ms Mayorga initially refused to name the alleged attacker but was questioned by detectives in hospital after the alleged incident.
But she refused to disclose where the alleged crime occurred and video evidence showing interactions between her and the Juventus striker was lost, so the criminal investigation was closed.
Ms Mayorga and Ronaldo reached a settlement of £295,000 in 2010 through their lawyers.
Ronaldo, 34, denied allegations that he raped her.
"Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in,” he said at the time.
"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense."
Police had not heard from Ms Mayorga since 2010, but on August 28, 2018, she contacted the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police to ask if the investigation could be reopened.
She named Ronaldo as the offender and said the incident took place at the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas, where the pair where seen.
The police investigated these allegations but did not find enough evidence to make a case.
“A request for prosecution was submitted to the District Attorney’s office on July 8, 2019," a Clark County spokesman said.
"Based on a review of the information presented at the time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
"Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.”
Updated: July 23, 2019 12:48 AM