x

Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 13 December 2018

Cristiano Ronaldo a target as both Uefa Champions League semi-finals witness crowd-related incidents

One involves two Italian men charged in connection with incident that has left Liverpool fan in critical condition, while other sees spectators charging on to pitch to meet Madrid star

<p>Two fans attempted to take a photograph with Cristiano Ronaldo, right, before being chased away by stewards. Michael Dalder&nbsp;/ Reuters</p>
Two fans attempted to take a photograph with Cristiano Ronaldo, right, before being chased away by stewards. Michael Dalder / Reuters

Both Uefa Champions League semi-finals held this week have witnessed fan-related incidents.

For starters, two Italian men will appear in court on Thursday charged in connection with an incident which left a 53-year-old Liverpool supporter in a critical condition.

Filippo Lombardi, 20, has been charged with violent disorder and wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm, Merseyside Police have said.

Daniele Sciusco, 29, was also charged with violent disorder. The two men will appear at South Sefton Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

Liverpool supporter Sean Cox was attacked outside Anfield stadium prior to the first leg of their semi-final against Roma on Tuesday night. Police said he remains in a critical condition at Walton Neurological Centre.

In a separate incident, a 28-year-old Italian man was charged with throwing a coin onto the pitch during the match.

Edoardo Ranalli will appear at South Sefton Magistrates' Court on Thursday, police said.

______________

Our Uefa Champions League coverage

Zidane says 'nothing is decided', warns Madrid to heed Juventus lesson

Richard Jolly: Late goals give Roma comeback hope for return leg

Jon Turner: Why Bayern Munich will go on to win the title

John McAuley: Why Liverpool will go on to win the title

Steve Luckings: Why Roma will go on to win the title

Graham Caygill: Why Madrid will go on to win title

______________

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich are facing disciplinary action after several fans ran onto the pitch at the Allianz Arena following their 2-1 defeat at home to Real Madrid on Wednesday.

European football governing body Uefa said in a statement that the Bundesliga champions had been charged over a "field invasion" by the fans plus the display of a banner containing a "message of an offensive nature" following the match.

Uefa said the case would be heard on May 31 but did not give further details.

Two of the fans attempted to take a photograph with Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo before being chased away by stewards. The Portuguese was unmoved by the incident as video footage showed him scratching his face and grinning.