Polish driver has not featured in the race series since sustaining an arm injury in 2011.
Robert Kubica to test new Renault car to assess chances of Formula One return
Polish driver Robert Kubica, whose career looked over when he partially severed his forearm in a 2011 rally accident, will test Renault's current Formula One car on August 2 in Hungary, the French manufacturer said on Monday.
Renault described the decision as a "a new phase in assessing Kubica's capabilities." Kubica, 32, returned to the cockpit in Renault's 2012 car in June and had a second test earlier this month.
- F1 analysis: Rollercoaster week for Hamilton ends in delight at British Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton: 'I really can't say what is going to happen six months from now'
The in-season test in Hungary will be Kubica's first time driving a current F1 car and is the clearest sign yet that he is being considered for a race comeback, amid speculation that he could replace Britain's Jolyon Palmer, who is yet to score a point in 10 races this season.
"The first two days of testing allowed both Robert and ourselves to gather a great amount of information," Renault's F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said in a statement.
"The upcoming session with the RS17 at the Hungaroring will allow us all to obtain detailed and precise data in a current car and representative conditions.
"After this test, we will carefully analyse the collected information to determine in what conditions it would be possible for Robert to return to competition in the upcoming years."
Kubica won the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix with BMW-Sauber and joined Renault in 2010. His arm injury, in a rally he entered for fun in Italy, came before the start of the 2011 season.