Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 29 May 2020

Lewis Hamilton slams organisers for hosting Australian Grand Prix during coronavirus outbreak: 'Cash is king'

Race to Melbourne Park expected to proceed with fans in attendance, despite cancellations and postponements to most other sports events

Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has launched a scathing attack on the sport's organisers for allowing the Australian Grand Prix to go ahead during the coronavirus pandemic and believes money is the motivating factor.

The season-opening race in Melbourne is set to proceed as planned this weekend despite mounting fears about the spread of the disease. And while other upcoming races on the F1 calendar have taken measures to combat the spread of Covid-19 - including Bahrain going ahead without fans and Shanghai postponing the race - Australian Grand Prix Corporation chief Andrew Westacott said last week that there was "not a chance" this weekend's race would be held without fans.

"I am really very, very surprised that we're here. I don't think it's great that we have races but it really is shocking that we're all sitting in this room," Hamilton said at the pre-race press conference .

"It seems that the rest of the world is already reacting a little bit late, but you have seen this morning with [President Donald] Trump shutting down the border to Europe to the States, the NBA suspended, yet Formula One continues to go on.

"It's a concern I think for the people here. It's quite a big circus that's come here, it's definitely concerning for me."

The Mercedes star, who is aiming to match Michael Schumacher's record seven world crowns this season, sat alongside Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo in the media session, but a large open space separated them from the press.

Asked why he felt the race was still on, Hamilton replied: "Cash is king."

Four-time world champion Vettel said it was difficult to judge what to do as the virus continues its spread.

"Obviously we have to trust the FIA (International Automobile Federation) to take precautions as much as they can, but I think the answer that nobody can give you at the moment is how much you can control what is going on," he said. "As a matter of fact, we are here so you just try to take care as much as you can."

Five Formula One team members - four from Haas and one from McLaren - have been confirmed as in isolation pending the outcome of tests after showing flu-like symptoms typical of the virus.

Westacott said in a statement he was "monitoring the situation in conjunction with Formula 1 and the FIA".

Australia has reported 150 cases of coronavirus so far, including among fans who attended the women's T20 Cricket World Cup final and a Super Rugby match, both in Melbourne last week.

The first F1 practice sessions start on Friday.

In an attempt to limit interaction between drivers and fans, autograph sessions have been replaced by question and answer interviews, with selfies banned.

Media events have also been hit with Renault's Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon "excused" from a press conference Wednesday, and an exclusion zone was enforced around Max Verstappen and Alex Albon at a Red Bull function.

Ocon was spotted wearing a mask in the paddock on Thursday, while teams scrapped all-in TV interviews, where media are tightly packed around the drivers, for the duration of the weekend.

Updated: March 12, 2020 01:26 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Most Popular