Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 3 April 2020

Lewis Hamilton in self-isolation but is showing no symptoms of coronavirus

Formula One champion takes precautionary measures after attending event with actor Idris Elba and Sophie Trudeau, wife of the Canadian prime minister, who have both tested positive for Covid-19

Lewis Hamilton says he has undergone a period of isolation after recently being pictured with actor Idris Elba, who has tested positive for coronavirus. Getty
Lewis Hamilton says he has undergone a period of isolation after recently being pictured with actor Idris Elba, who has tested positive for coronavirus. Getty

Lewis Hamilton has revealed he has been in self-isolation but is showing no symptoms of the coronavirus after attending an event with Idris Elba and Sophie Trudeau.

Actor Elba and Trudeau, wife of the Canadian prime minister, have both since tested positive for Covid-19.

Hamilton met the pair at an event in London on March 4 before flying out to Melbourne for the first race of the Formula One season, which was called off last Friday morning.

And the six-time world champion has revealed since then he has kept himself distanced from other people.

"There's been some speculation about my health, after I was at an event where two people later tested positive for coronavirus," Hamilton wrote on Instagram.

"I wanted to let you know that I'm doing well, feeling healthy and working out twice a day. I have zero symptoms, and it's now been 17 days since I saw Sophie and Idris. I have been in touch with Idris and happy to hear he is OK.

"I did speak to my doctor and double checked if I needed to take a test but the truth is, there is a limited amount of tests available and there are people who need it more than I do, especially when I wasn't showing any symptoms at all.

"So what I've done is keep myself isolated this past week, actually since practice was cancelled last Friday and kept my distance from people."

The Formula 1 season has been delayed until at least the start of June, with several races either postponed or cancelled. The Monaco Grand Prix has been cancelled and the Dutch and Spanish races postponed.

It will be the first time since 1954 that F1 will not race at the Monte Carlo circuit.

The first four races in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China had already been called off due to the pandemic.

As it stands, there will be no races on the F1 calendar until Azerbaijan on June 5-7, although more delays seem highly likely.

Updated: March 21, 2020 07:42 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Most Popular