x Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 20 January 2018

David Haye claims fifth round stoppage win over Dereck Chisora

Haye proclaimed his feud with Chisora was over after an explosive fifth-round referee stoppage at London's Upton Park.

Referee Luis Pabon gives the count to Dereck Chisora during his grudge match with David Haye
Referee Luis Pabon gives the count to Dereck Chisora during his grudge match with David Haye

LONDON // David Haye produced an fifth-round stoppage of Dereck Chisora to win their controversial grudge match in explosive fashion.

And afterwards Haye insisted his feud with Chisora was now over after settling their differences in the ring.

"Any damage that was done by our altercation in Munich is well and truly fixed now," Haye said.

"People said that was a black eye for boxing, well the bags have gone from boxing's eyes now.

"The crowd have gone home happy with a smile on their face. That's the bottom line.

"Whatever beef I had with Dereck before the fight is over now from my side and I hope it's vice versa.

"After sharing a ring with Dereck I have a new found respect for the man.

"I had respect for his boxing ability but I never believed he could be as good as he was tonight. He raised his game.

The hostilities started in Munich five months ago were ended by a stunning left hook that spelt the end of Chisora's challenge at Upton Park.

Haye, who was being outmuscled by his heavier opponent, was in trouble before he delivered the decisive blow that sent his 28-year-old opponent to the canvas.

Chisora beat the count but referee Luis Pabon waved the fight off once he was dropped for a second time, a left hook doing the damage once again.

Haye, who was conceding two and a half stones, started with ferocious intent as he fired a succession of vicious shots.

But he was caught twice by Chisora, first by a left hook and then a jab in an exciting first round.

Chisora was clearly unfazed by his opponent's aggression as he stalked him across the ring, although Haye caught him with a straight right.

Both fighters continued to throw punches after the bell for the second round had sounded, though Pabon was quick to separate them.

Pabon had to intervene once more after the third once Chisora landed with a hard left hook as the rivals had failed to hear the bell.

Chisora was dominating the close exchanges but Haye was more dangerous from range with both landing powerful shots.

At one point in the fourth Chisora - who was being cheered on by Tim Witherspoon at ringside - looked hurt but Haye failed to pile on the pressure when he was on the corner.

In the fifth Chisora's greater bulk appeared to be making the difference as he piled on the pressure, only for Haye to intervene with the one-punch power that made him such a threat.

But Chisora, who was rescued by referee Luis Pabon after the second knockdown, trailed on all three scorecards - 39-37, 39-37, 40-36 - when the fight was stopped.

The 28-year-old, whose pressure style gave Haye problems, agreed their dispute was over and pledged to honour their bet that the loser would donate £20,000 from their purse to the charity of the winner's choice, in this case the Afro-Caribbean Leukaemia Trust.

"The beef is over for me as well....now we can eat in the same restaurants and go in the same clubs. After the fight we made up," Chisora said.

"It was a great fight and everything is done. Now I'm £20,000 down, but a bet is a bet.

"I enjoyed the fight, it was a great fight and both of us came to fight. I drew the short straw."


twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE