Steve Smith will not contest 12-month ban from Cricket Australia over ball-tampering scandal
The former Australia captain confirmed on Twitter he will accept his punishment
Former Australia captain Steve Smith will not be appealing his year-long ban from the game.
Smith was banned along with vice-captain David Warner for their part in ball-tampering during the recent Test series in South Africa.
Batsman Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine months following a Cricket Australia investigation which revealed he had used sandpaper to try to alter the condition of the ball during the third Test at Cape Town.
There had been reports of a possible appeal by the players against the bans but Smith has said on Twitter he will not seek to have the sanction reduced.
Smith wrote on Twitter: "I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country.
"But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team.
"I won't be challenging the sanctions. They've been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them."
Australia went on to lose the match and the series 3-1.
Updated: April 4, 2018 10:38 AM