Former coach says he had hoped for a private resolution after being sacked, but failed to establish contact with senior CA officials despite multiple attempts.
Cricket round-up: Mickey Arthur says Australia caused damage to career
Mickey Arthur has blamed Cricket Australia (CA) for forcing him to take legal action over his "unfair" sacking as coach of the national team and said the incident had caused major damage to his career and reputation.
South African Arthur, the first non-Australian to coach the team, had a contract until 2015 but was sacked and replaced by Darren Lehmann in June, just weeks before the start of the Ashes series against England.
Arthur subsequently filed a case with the Fair Work Commission (FWC) in Australia, demanding A$3.6 million (Dh12.15m) in compensation or reinstatement as coach.
On his arrival in Perth on Sunday, the 45 year old said he had hoped for a private resolution but failed to establish contact with senior CA officials despite multiple attempts.
"After my dismissal I received nothing in writing from Cricket Australia, no contact and no payment at all, not even of my basic leave pay until I was forced to bring in lawyers to assist in the process," Arthur said in a statement.
"I was really trying for a private resolution that would not have any collateral damage to the reputation of any of us, the Australian team, Australian cricket, or me.
"I thought, perhaps naively, that, under all the circumstances of my dismissal, that Cricket Australia would be willing to have sensible and good faith talks in private."
The former South Africa coach took over Australia in 2011 following a review of their the humiliating 3-1 Ashes defeat, the first home series loss to England in nearly quarter of a century.
Australia have lately endured a series of poor results, losing a Test series in India 4-0 this year, and faced a number of disciplinary issues within the squad.
The failure to make the knock-out stages of the ICC Champions Trophy, of which Australia were the defending champions, and David Warner's fracas with England's Joe Root compounded Arthur's problems.
"The damage to my reputation and career has been immense, which means the chances of me getting a senior job are that much less," Arthur said.
"I was truly shocked and devastated by my dismissal.
"I had received a positive appraisal on all my key performance indicators just prior to departing for the Ashes tour," Arthur said, adding that he hoped Wednesday's conciliation talks with the board at FWC would be fruitful.
"I am told that David Warner's conduct was 'the last straw' for the board. I received no hearing at all over that issue, and no one was doing more to improve discipline in the young Australian team than I was."
In what became known as "homework-gate", Arthur dropped Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja from the third Test in India for failing to provide their thoughts on how Australia could improve in an e-mail.
Lorgat new CEO of South African cricket
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has ended its long search for a new chief executive officer by appointing Haroon Lorgat.
Lorgat was CEO of the International Cricket Council between 2008 and 2012 and takes over from Ghanaian Naasei Appiah, CSA's chief financial officer, who had been in the position on a caretaker basis since March.
"Mr Lorgat's appointment follows a thorough and rigorous process to fill this important position," Chris Nenzani, the CSA president, said in a statement. "The quality of the candidates was exceptional."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE