x Abu Dhabi, UAE Thursday 20 July 2017

Cautionary period for David Moyes and Manchester United with Robin Van Persie

As Manchester United revealed a new away kit, David Moyes confirmed Robin van Persie will play some part in a friendly with Cerezo Osaka.

Rio Ferdinand, Tom Cleverley, Patrice Evra, Shinji Kagawa and Jonny Evans show off Manchester United’s new away kit outside Osaka Castle. Manager David Moyes says Robin van Persie will make an appearance in the new uniform when United face Cerezo Osaka in a friendly.
Rio Ferdinand, Tom Cleverley, Patrice Evra, Shinji Kagawa and Jonny Evans show off Manchester United’s new away kit outside Osaka Castle. Manager David Moyes says Robin van Persie will make an appearance in the new uniform when United face Cerezo Osaka in a friendly.

Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed Robin van Persie will play some part in Friday's friendly with Cerezo Osaka.

Van Persie was taken off as a precaution during Tuesday's defeat at Yokohama after feeling a tightness in his thigh.

The injury prompted a stinging attack from the former Wales coach Raymond Verheijen, who recalling Moyes's previous claim he had "overtrained" Van Persie during United's week in Australia, said such training regimes were archaic.

It seems the comments were overblown, with Van Persie set to play in the fourth match of United's pre-season tour.

"It was just a precaution," Moyes said. "I expect he will play tomorrow."

Moyes confirmed Michael Carrick's tight groin was getting easier but the midfielder is unlikely to be risked.

And there was good news surrounding four of the players United opted to leave in England.

"There was a practice match at the training ground the other day in which Nemanja Vidic, Antonio Valencia and Nani all got some playing time," Moyes said.

"Wayne Rooney is running and is probably at the level we would have thought he would be. He has picked up his work again this week."

Meanwhile, Moyes confirmed there had been no further developments in United's attempt to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

"It is ongoing," he said.

With conditions in Osaka even hotter than Yokohama, Moyes is set to abandon his policy of giving players extended periods of time on the pitch in an effort to conserve their energy.

"It's very hot and the conditions are difficult for players from our country," Moyes said.

"I hope we'll benefit from playing in these conditions when we get home but we may need to use all of our players to make sure they don't lose too much weight or fluid because I am sure it will be very hot again."

Of how he planned to approach the game with Osaka, he added: "It's not as important as winning the first game of the Premier League season but you want to win as often as you can and we'll try and do so."

With two defeats from three games it has not exactly been the best of tours, results-wise, for Moyes.

However, the form of the Under 21 midfielders Jesse Lingard, currently top scorer with three, and the Belgian Adnan Januzaj, has caught the eye.

Rather than send them out on loan, which had been established policy under Sir Alex Ferguson, Moyes is considering whether to keep them at Old Trafford to allow them to continue their development.

"Both have done well," Moyes said. "They have adapted well and made contributions to the team.

"It's a tradition at United to try and get young players into the team and both have come through the system.

"Hopefully, we can get both some playing time next season but both need to keep their levels up and keep making an impact in training and games."

 

EVERTON: No new bids made for Baines or Fellaini

Everton have not received any fresh offers for Leighton Baines or Marouane Fellaini, according to Roberto Martinez, the manager.

Baines, a left-back, was the subject of an offer from Manchester United last month. Fellaini also has been linked with a move to Old Trafford to join the former Everton coach Moyes.

There have been rumours that Moyes will return with an improved offer for Baines but Martinez, who succeeded the Scot at Goodison Park, insists that has not yet been the case.

Martinez said on Sky Sports News: "Not at all. And I know that probably that's not something that you want to hear but it's clearly what it's been in the last two or three weeks.

"Everyone is really focused to try to fight for that starting spot at the beginning of the season. The competitive level in this group is quite impressive.

"I wouldn't want to stop the speculation, I do think the speculation is healthy.

"If we've got clubs talking about our players, I'll take it as a compliment because the players have been impressing and doing really well.

"But we are in a great position, financially, and we want to start the season with the best possible squad that we have, and for that we have to work extremely hard."

Asked if he was surprised the club have not received another bid for Baines, Martinez added: "The last concern I have is what other clubs are doing."

 

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE