The quarterback feels the Washington Redskins 'disrespected' him in demoting him last week to the bench.
Benching shows lack of respect: McNabb
Donovan McNabb feels the Washington Redskins "disrespected" him in demoting him last week to the bench.
"When you get in that situation, and all of a sudden you get this news a couple days before a game, you know you do feel somewhat disrespected," the quarterback said on his radio show on Tuesday.
The comments, reported on the team's website, were McNabb's first since the former starter was benched last week for the remainder of the season.
Despite the demotion, McNabb said he would like to return to the team in 2011.
"I definitely hope so and I expressed that," the six-time Pro Bowler said. "I don't want to go anywhere."
Mike Shanahan, the Washington coach, in announcing McNabb's benching, said he could not guarantee the quarterback would be back in Washington next season.
"I really wasn't looking for a guarantee," McNabb said. "I wanted to hear ... What are you thinking?'"
Shanahan said he wanted to take a closer look at quarterbacks Rex Grossman, an eight-year NFL veteran who will now start, and John Beck, the 2007 Miami Dolphins second-round draft pick, who becomes Grossman's back-up, relegating McNabb to third choice.
McNabb, 34, had started every game for the Redskins (5-9) before Sunday's 33-30 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
He had been traded to Washington by the Philadelphia Eagles in April.
He signed a five-year, US$78 million (Dh286.5m) contract extension with Washington last month, but the deal only guaranteed him an extra $3.5m this year, and he could be cut before next season without any additional payment.
McNabb said he expected it would be the off-season before his future with the Redskins was resolved.