Ismael Bangoura faces disciplinary action and an uncertain future at Al Nasr after leaving to join his Guinea national team for the Africa Cup of Nations earlier than originally planned.
Bangoura may have stamped his ticket out of Al Nasr
DUBAI // Ismael Bangoura faces disciplinary action and an uncertain future at Al Nasr after leaving to join his Guinea national team for the Africa Cup of Nations earlier than originally planned.
Bangoura and Nasr had decided the striker will train at the club until December 25 and then leave to join his national team for the continental championship, which start in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea from January 21. The player, however, left three days earlier on Thursday, upsetting officials at the club.
"Bangoura went against the original agreement and will face punishment as per the regulations of the team," said Abdulrehman Mohammed, a member of Nasr's technical committee.
According to club sources, the 26 year old, who is contracted with Nasr until 2014, is peeved over the ambiguity concerning his future at the club. Keeping the Africa Cup of Nations in mind, Nasr did not register Bangoura as one of their four foreign players in the last transfer window, adding Rodrigo Careca and Amara Diane to their roster instead of him and Carlos Tenorio, who was released by the club because of his recurring injuries.
Bangoura, however, continued training with the club and was expecting to be re-registered as one of their foreign players during the January transfer window.
However, given the performances of Careca and Diane so far this season, that now seems unlikely. Coach Walter Zenga is expected to continue with his quartet of Careca, Diane, Mark Bresciano and Linardo Lima as the team has done well in recent times with four consecutive wins and a draw in their last five matches in the Pro League.
Mohammed, however, said the coach and the technical staff had not made a decision yet on their foreign players.
"There is no problem between Bangoura and the club, and we have not made a decision on the foreign players till now," he said.
"The technical staff, led by coach Zenga, and the technical committee of the club will discuss this issue in the coming days.
"We have a busy season ahead with the local competitions and the AFC Champions League, and we will have to make our decisions keeping that in mind."
Mohammed also denied receiving any offers for their Emirati midfielder Ali Abbas, who has been linked with a return to Al Ahli in recent days.
"The media has linked Ali Abbas to more than one club in the last few days," Mohammed said.
"Some say he is going to Ahli, other have talked about Al Ain. The fact is he is still a Nasr player and no club has approached us till now."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE