x Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 25 July 2017

Authorities reject calls to investigate controversial Manny Pacquiao loss to Timothy Bradley

Nevada's state attorney general says no further investigation will be carried out despite call from fight promoter for probe into disputed title decision.

Manny Pacquiao in training.
Manny Pacquiao in training.

Nevada's state attorney general says no further action will be taken over Manny Pacquiao's controversial title loss to Timothy Bradley in Las Vegas last month.

Bradley wrested the WBO welterweight title off Pacquiao via a split decision on June 9 which sparked outrage from many observers.

Two judges scoring the fight 115-113 in favour of Bradley, with the third by the same score for the Filipino in a bout most believed the latter won handily.

Now Nevada state attorney general Catherine Cortez Masto, responding to a letter from Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum requesting a review of the fight, says: "After conducting an initial investigation there do not appear to be any facts or evidence to indicate that a criminal violation occurred.

"Displeasure with the subjective decisions of sporting officials is not a sufficient basis for this office to initiate a criminal investigation.

"Unless evidence beyond mere displeasure is forthcoming, this matter will be considered closed."

Pacquiao moved closer to a rematch two weeks ago when the World Boxing Organisation declared their belief that he should have won the bout.