x Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 26 July 2017

Australian batsmen Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey have moved on

Retired duo will not consider coming back to the struggling Test team as the Ashes series looms.

Ricky Ponting, left, and Mike Hussey retired from Tests last year, leaving Australia's batting line-up with very little experience. Tony Ashby / AFP
Ricky Ponting, left, and Mike Hussey retired from Tests last year, leaving Australia's batting line-up with very little experience. Tony Ashby / AFP

Ricky Ponting, the former captain, and Mike Hussey have ruled out the possibility of ending their retirements to bolster Australia's inexperienced batting line-up in the Ashes series against England.

Australia have struggled for runs on their troubled tour of India, which they trail 3-0 heading into the fourth and final Test in Delhi, which starts on Friday.

Coach Mickey Arthur said this week that his side were missing the experience of Ponting, the second-leading run-scorer in Test history, and Hussey after they both retired during the Australian summer.

Arthur said the door was still open for Hussey to make a return while Ponting collected the Sheffield Shield Player-of-the-Year award this week after finishing the domestic season as the leading run-scorer with 875 runs at an average of 87.50.

Ponting will be in England when the Ashes begin in Nottingham on July 10 after agreeing a short-term deal with Surrey, but denied he might make a comeback when he collected his award.

"I haven't had the phone call yet," said Ponting, who will line up for Tasmania in the shield final in Hobart this week. "International cricket has long passed me by and I've just been really excited about giving back to Tasmanian cricket whatever I could for this season.

"The decision you make to retire, when you do, is a very big one. I know I put a lot of time and thought into making the decision that I made for all the right reasons."

Hussey also ruled out any thoughts he might return to the Baggy Green following Arthur's comments.

The 37 year old surprised Australian cricket when he called time on his career in January to spend more time with his family.

"It's extremely flattering," Hussey said. "But I've moved on and I really don't want to be back in that pressure-cooker environment, particularly leading into the Ashes.

"It's going to be an extremely stressful time for all the boys. I'm really looking forward to having a winter at home and just having some time with the family and being part of some normal life.

"I feel very lucky to have been able to leave on my own terms and leave when I wanted to."

Following Australia's six-wicket defeat in Mohali this week, which relinquished the Border-Gavaskar Trophy back to India, Arthur said: "We'd certainly listen to Mike Hussey if Mike Hussey came knocking at our door.

"But that's a hypothetical at the moment. He's retired. We've moved on now. Yeah we miss him. We miss the aura of Ricky Ponting."

sports@thenational.ae

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE