Antonio Conte wants Juventus to open up their wallet
Juventus coach Antonio Conte has left doubts hanging over his future at the club after calling for investment to boost their chances of becoming a competitive force in Europe.
Conte’s side won the title on Sunday without even lacing up their boots when closest challengers Roma crashed 4-1 away to Catania.
The Turin giants celebrated their third consecutive scudetto in front of home fans on Monday following a 1-0 win over Atalanta, but the painful memory of what might have been lingers.
Having crashed out of the Uefa Champions League at the group stages Juve progressed to a semi-final of the Europa League and within sight of a May 14 final at their own stadium.
Yet after a 2-1 first leg defeat away to Benfica, Juventus failed to produce the decisive goal in a dominant second leg that would have secured a final ticket against Sevilla.
Conte has previously complained of the club’s lack of spending power compared to richer clubs, such as Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Manchester City and Chelsea.
Asked after Monday’s win about the club’s chances in Europe next season, he said: “When you have 10 euros (Dh51) in your pocket you can’t eat in a restaurant where the meal will cost you 100.”
Juve’s success this season has come partly down to the 34 combined league goals scored by strikers Carlos Tevez (19) and Fernando Llorente (15), both of whom joined the club for the start of the season.
But Conte, it appears, wants more quality in depth to help boost his side’s Champions League potential.
“It’s been three successful but stressful years and now people expect us to automatically win in Europe, but it’s never quite so easy,” said Conte. “I will be sitting down to talk to the club.”
Argentine Zanetti will retire but is staying with Inter Milan
Inter Milan captain Javier Zanetti will retire at the end of the season, he announced Tuesday.
The 40-year-old defender has played in 851 official matches for Inter since moving to Italy from Banfield in Argentina in 1995.
“I feel the time has come,” Zanetti said to Argentine newspaper La Nacion. “I feel fulfilled and complete. To retire at almost 41 still feeling in form has no price.”
The former Argentina international, who has won five Serie A titles and the Uefa Champions League, has accepted a role as sporting manager at Inter.
Follow our sports coverage on twitter at @SprtNationalUAE
Updated: May 6, 2014 04:00 AM