x Abu Dhabi, UAE Friday 21 July 2017

AC Milan coach pulls back on talks of Tevez transfer

After PSG withdrew to respect the Italian club's intentions, Allegri now says he is happy with his current squad.

Carlos Tevez is uncomrtable at Manchester City.
Carlos Tevez is uncomrtable at Manchester City.

DUBAI // The saga surrounding the future of Carlos Tevez looks set to drag on after Massimiliano Allegri, the AC Milan manager, yesterday denied that Manchester City's unsettled forward was destined for a move to the San Siro.

Tevez, 27, has been at the centre of intense speculation in recent weeks. The two teams opened negotiations last month, and the deal appeared so inevitable that Leonardo, Paris Saint-Germain's sporting director, announced his club had withdrawn their interest out of respect for Milan's advanced position.

However, Allegri, speaking in Dubai yesterday ahead of his side's exhibition match with PSG tomorrow, said he is content with the current Milan squad, and is not focusing on luring the Argentine forward to Milan.

"We have other, stronger strikers, so we are not looking at Tevez just now," he said.

The Italians already boast an array of attacking options that include Robinho, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Filippo Inzaghi and Alexandre Pato, though Tevez had been expected to replace Pato, who has struggled for form this season, and has himself been linked with a move to PSG.

Carlo Ancelotti, the former Milan coach appointed at the helm of the Paris club last week, has made known his admiration for Pato, but Allegri said he has no intention of letting the 22-year-old Brazilian leave.

"Alexandre Pato is an important player for Milan, and I would like him to remain a player with us," he said.

Pato, who revealed he had exchanged Christmas wishes with Ancelotti, said earlier this week he was committed to achieving success with Milan.

"Allegri and I have the same objective, to keep winning with AC Milan," he told Milan TV. "Years ago, I chose AC Milan among many possibilities, and I'd do it again."