Dive Bahrain: The world's largest underwater theme park is about to get even bigger
A replica of a pearl merchant's house, a sunken ship and a sail will be added to the 100,000-square-metre dive site
Dive Bahrain, the world’s largest underwater theme park, is about to get even bigger.
Since opening in September 2019, professional divers from more than 50 countries have explored the submerged attraction, which features a sunken Boeing 747 plane and an artificial reef.
And the next phase of the dive site has now been announced, with a replica of a traditional Bahraini pearl merchant’s house, sunken ships and sail structures all set to be added.
“The enormously positive response Dive Bahrain has received, locally, regionally and internationally, had already accelerated work on the other pre-planned elements of the dive park including a replica of a traditional pearl merchant’s house, sunken ships and sail structures,” a spokesperson for the attraction said.
Once completed, the park will cover a 100,000-square-metre site located to the north of the Gulf country, which can only be accessed through a licensed dive centre.
The expansion announcement comes just days after it was revealed that parts of Dive Bahrain had been damaged by illegal shrimp trawlers who breached the boundaries of the protected site.
Speaking of the incident, Industry, Commerce and Tourism Minister Zayed Alzayani said: “While the dive site sustained damage, work continues to build the largest underwater park which will continue to provide a thrilling diving experience for those who visit and, more importantly, a viable habitat for local marine species.”
Updated: February 11, 2020 12:28 PM