The fitness expert and gym owner shares his wisdom.
Life lessons: Dan Harrison
Dan Harrison, 30, has lived in the UAE for six years and is the fitness expert and trainer for the world champion Fazza Jet Ski teams and powerboat champions. With degrees in sport and exercise science, he is also the co-founder and director of Evolve, a holistic gym in Dubai
1. Respect the older generation. My parents were the ones who showed me what it means to have true dedication and physical and mental strength. Growing up I realised how important these things are in life and how much they apply to what we do and take on.
2. Being "healthy" is not just about aesthetics. Being powerful, strong, fast, flexible and psychologically prepared to take on everyday challenges with a smile on your face is key.
3. Anything worth having requires hard work. This applies to life, love and the relationship you have with yourself. If your goal is to become fit and healthy, then look in the mirror, set a target and give it your all until you've achieved it. All people want in this day and age is the next gimmick: fad diets, fat-loss pills, the best protein to take, the best workout routine and, even worse, the best sporting attire to do it in. All it really requires is hard work and being honest with yourself.
4. "Unless you've been there and done that, don't comment on it" is some of the best advice I've ever been given. Until you've walked a day in someone else's shoes, you cannot possibly know what they have been through.
5. Never say "never". Mental focus and determination, I believe, are some of the tools to help you achieve change and cope with adversity.
As told to Jemma Nicholls