The ultimate British lazy Sunday food.
Recipe: battered cod
6 200g cod fillets, skinned
330ml non-alcoholic beer
330ml cold water
10g dried yeast
300g all-purpose flour
Seasoned flour (flour, salt and pepper) to taste
2 litres vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl whisk together the non-alcoholic beer, water and yeast. Slowly add the flour and whisk until smooth.
2. Leave the batter in a warm place for 30 minutes to allow the yeast to ferment. When the batter is fermented and has begun to bubble, thoroughly whisk it again.
3. Place the oil in a deep sided pot and heat to 180°C. Dust the cod fillets with the seasoned flour then dip them through the batter.
4. Drop the fillets into the oil and cook for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet, until hot in the centre and golden on the outside.
5. Drain the fried fillets on kitchen paper then serve. Best with triple-cooked chips and mushy peas.
This recipe serves six.