Here are two recipes from Indian home-run catering businesses. Chicken Cheese Shammi Kababs and Murgh Shahjahani.
Indian home recipes
Chicken Cheese Shammi Kababs by Huma AliShammi (kababs with a Mediterranean taste)
For the kababs
100g chicken breast/boneless chicken
2 green chillies1 small onion
4 cloves garlic2 sprigs coriander leaves
2 stalks spring onion
White/albumen of 1 egg
Salt to taste
20ml oil for frying
For the stuffing
50g grated cheese
1 small onion, minced
10g fresh mixed herbs - coriander, thyme, parsley, mint and basil
A pinch of salt
1. Mix all the ingredients for the kababs and grind into a paste. Check seasoning and keep aside.
2. Combine all ingredients for the stuffing and mix them well.
3. Make flat disks out of the chicken paste to fit the hollow of your palm.
4. Place a little stuffing in each disk and cover to get a round shape. You will get about 10-12 stuffed kababs.
5. Shallow fry in a pan for about 1 ½ minute on each side or till the kababs turn golden brown.
6. Serve hot with spiced up tomato tamarind sauce.
Murgh Shahjahani by Shabeena Naseem (A semi-gravy preparation with no added water)
For marination of 1kg chicken
2 tbsp (35g) onion paste
4 tsp (25g) ginger-garlic paste2 tbsp (30ml) curd
2 tbsp (or 1 small) onion, fried and crushed
2 tbsp (15g) coconut powder
12 tsp (2.5g) turmeric powder
1 tsp (5g) whole spices powder
For cooking the chicken
6 green chillies, chopped
1 tsp (5g) coriander seeds
2 bay leaves
3 tsp (15 ml) lemon juice
Salt to taste
2 tsp (10ml) cream
3 tbsp (45ml) refined seed oil (sunflower, safflower or any one available at home)
1. Poke the chicken pieces with a fork and marinate them with the ingredients mentioned above. Keep refrigerated for two hours.
2. Remove and mix the salt and keep aside for another ½ hour before cooking.
3. Heat oil in a vessel and sauté the bay leaves and coriander seeds in it for a minute.
4. Add the green chillies and stir once.
5. Follow up with the chicken pieces one by one. Do not stir.
6. Cover the vessel and cook on medium flame. Let the chicken cook till it leaves water and absorbs a part of it too. This should take about 12 minutes. The chicken is now 70% cooked.
7. Add the lemon juice, stir and cook on low flame for another 4 minutes or so till the chicken is fully cooked.
8. Remove from flame, add cream and mix lightly. 9. The dish is ready to serve and tastes best with Cumin Rice or any other rice preparation.