Dim sum to die for at Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah
Waldorf Astoria has made its debut along the Eastern crescent of Palm Jumeirah. Worth a visit for the Dim Sum is Southeastern Asian restaurant Lao. Check out chef’s recipe below and see our slideshow of other top dishes to sample.
Steamed Shrimp Dumplings
(serves 10 people)
Potato starch 25g
Tapioca starch 25g
Spring onions 20g
Lukewarm water 20ml
Banana leaves 20g
Sesame oil 50ml
Sesame seeds 50g
Fish sauce 20ml
5 egg whites
Soy sauce 20ml
Sweet chili 20g
Pickled cucumber, carrot, daikon 100g
1. Mix the potato starch and tapioca starch the lukewarm water to form a smooth dough.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a very thin sheet cut out medium-sized circles (using a ramekin as a template if necessary).
3. Mix the shrimp, spring onion, sesame seeds, egg whites and all other ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Fill the circles with a heaped teaspoon of the mixture, fold the dough into half moon shapes and seal the edges with your thumb.
4. Steam over boiling water (with dim sum placed on cut squares bamboo strips) for 4 minutes and serve.
For reservations at Lao or any of the Waldorf’s five other restaurants and lounges call +97148182222 or go to www.waldorfastoria.com/dubaipalm