In pictures: Ten UAE wonders to add to your bucket list
January 23, 2014
Updated: January 23, 2014 04:00 AM
So you’ve ridden to the top of the Burj Khalifa, toured the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque and taken your visitors to see just about all there is you think you can see. Here are the details of how to get to our picks below. Visit the article page here for our writers’ guide to the attractions.
1. Dreamland camping, UAQ
• Cabanas for two adults cost Dh650 per night (Saturday to Thursday) or Dh850 per night (Fridays and public holidays) for two adults; Dh900 and Dh1,200 respectively for a family of two adults and two children; see www.dreamlanduae.com for more information.
2. Mini Golf, Al Ain
For more information or to make reservations at the Mercure Grand Hotel Jebel Hafeet, visit www.mercure.com or call 03 783 8888.
Bull-butting is held throughout the year, unless there is a funeral. Spectators are advised to either sit on the safe side of the metal barrier that surrounds the ring or, if they choose to join the crowds inside, be prepared to run if a bull makes a break for it.
4. Endurance racing, Al Wathba
• Follow signs from the Abu Dhabi–Al Ain truck road (E30). For a schedule and more details of race meetings, visit www.eef.ae.
5. Mountain climbing, Ras Al Khaimah
• Follow the Ras Al Khaimah – Wadi Bih Road past the dam and into the main wadi. After about 800 metres, there is a signpost for Jebel Jais Road on the left. If you hit the Oman border, you’ve gone too far.
• The Emirates National Auto Museum is about an hour’s drive from Abu Dhabi on the E65; you can find a map and more information at www.enam.ae. Opening hours are from 8am-6pm daily (though timings are subject to change).
9. Fish Market, Abu Dhabi
• Takeaway restaurants such Al Shader (02 673 6229) can season and grill whatever you bought for less than Dh20 per kilogram.
10. Masdar City, Abu Dhabi
• Open from 8.30am to 10pm; for information on Masdar City, including how to get there, go to www.masdarcity.ae; to make a reservation at Sumo Sushi & Bento, call 02 557 0500.