Dubai Summer Surprises to kick off with a 12-hour flash sale on June 21
Participating brands include Lululemon, Crate & Barrel and Harvey Nichols – Dubai among more than 100 others
The term "gone in a flash" seems to have been coined for the annual sales – Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises – that Dubai is known for, which tend to kick-start with a mega discount. This year's DSS is no different, and will begin on Friday, June 21, with a whopping 90 per cent discount across all Majid Al Futtaim malls. That means you pay a mere 10 per cent of the price for a whole host of items at Mall of the Emirates and the various City Centres - in Deira, Mirdif, Me’aisem, Al Shindagha - and My City Centre Al Barsha.
The 12-hour flash sale is from noon to midnight. Also, as part of the DSS launch, shoppers who spend Dh300 or more will have a chance to win a mall gift card worth Dh50,000. These malls will also offer up to a 75 per cent discount for the entire six-week duration of DSS, until August 3.
The flash sale takes in nearly 120 brands across categories such as fashion, jewellery, homeware and electronics. Here are the ones we are most excited about.
Clothes: Alexander McQueen, AllSaints, Armani, BCBG MaxAzaria, Elisabetta Franchi, Sandro, Seafolly, Stella McCartney, Harvey Nichols, Karen Millen and Versace
Shoes: Havaianas, Roger Vivier, Hush Puppes and Converse
Beauty: Bath & Bodyworks and Rituals
Watches & Jewellery: Marni, Montblanc, Tissot and Rado
Childrenswear: Babyshop, Emporio Armani Kids, Sacoor Kids, Angels by Accessorise and Monsoon Children
Sportswear: Lululemon Athletica, Rip Curl and Superdry
Homeware: Chattels & More, Crate & Barrel, Maisons du Monde, The One and Pottery Barn
Events and entertainment
Retail therapy aside, there's plenty of fun to be had, especially for families, this DSS. Here are some of the shows and more to catch.
The first-ever Kids Rock festival will be on at Dubai Festival City Mall, featuring familiar faces from animation series PJ Masks including Catboy, Gekko, Owlette, and Luna Girl (from June 22 to July 11) and Angry Birds (from July 12 to August 4). The festival will include daily stage shows and interactive workshops.
- City Centre Deira will host a licensed Justice League superheroes show and activation, and visitors can join Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and The Flash "on a journey to defend the Earth" (from June 27 to July 6).
- The Ripe Market will return to Dubai Festival City Mall, with local designers and at food trucks (until August 4).
- The cheerful Modhesh mascot will return to Modhesh World at Dubai World Trade Centre (June 21 to August 17).
- The Smash Room has a deal of Dh200 for two adults and two children (until August 4), where you can smash up to 40 glasses and two electronic items.
- La Perle by Dragone has a reduced ticket rate of Dh199 from for the months of June, July and August.
Updated: June 20, 2019 11:53 AM