The National's "On Your Side" columnist distills her expertise on personal finance down to five simple tips.
Keren Bobker's five tips on becoming financially literate
1. Read the small print. It may be boring, but it is important.
2. If you don't fully understand, don't sign on the dotted line. Ask questions until you understand and are satisfied.
3. Work out your monthly budget and stick to it.
4. Focus on repaying unsecured debt so you don't waste lots of your money on interest.
5. Remember the difference between luxuries and necessities. Never buy unessential items on credit.