Trump imposes 25 per cent duties on $50bn worth of Chinese goods
More action will be taken if China pursues retaliation, he added
President Donald Trump’s administration moved the US to the brink of a trade war with China, announcing tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports that America’s biggest trading partner has vowed to retaliate against.
In a statement Friday, Mr Trump pledged additional tariffs if China follows through on the retaliation threats. The 25 per cent duties are a response to the US' so-called Section 301 investigation earlier this year that accused China of stealing US intellectual property in an effort to dominate the development of advanced technology.
“The United States can no longer tolerate losing our technology and intellectual property through unfair economic practices,” Mr Trump said in the statement.
China, the world’s No 2 behind the US, has pledged to retaliate on US exports including soybeans and pork. The US imported $505 billion of goods from China last year and exported about $130 billion, leaving a 2017 deficit of $376 billion, according to government figures.
Mr Trump has frequently cited such an imbalance as the justification for a punitive trade policy toward China, Canada, Mexico, the European Union and other trading partners.
“These tariffs are essential to preventing further unfair transfers of American technology and intellectual property to China, which will protect American jobs,” he said. “In addition, they will serve as an initial step toward bringing balance to the trade relationship between the United States and China.”
Updated: June 15, 2018 04:44 PM