x Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 27 July 2017

Today's entertainment news: Indira Gandhi film in the works

Plus: Eagles radio station launched; Lindsay Lohan on house arrest; SRK and Farah Khan reunite; Russell Brand to fight charges; Jessica Simpson holds baby shower; Kirstie Alley to do London stage and Iraqi artist exhibits calligraphy.

Indira Gandhi, the former Indian prime minister, in 1974. AFP
Indira Gandhi, the former Indian prime minister, in 1974. AFP

The Australian filmmaker Bruce Beresford, best known for directing the Oscar Best Picture Driving Miss Daisy in 1989, has announced plans to make a film on the former Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi and her leadership during the 1971 Bangladesh liberation war.

Titled Birth of a Nation, the dramatic feature will underline the role played by Gandhi in defying China and the US president Richard Nixon to carve out Bangladesh from Pakistan.

The India-born American producer Krishna Shah will produce the film based on his own script. Casting will begin in May with Indian, American and British actors.

* Anjali A

Eagles radio station launched

To promote the forthcoming April 12 performance of The Eagles in Dubai's Sevens Stadium, DONE Events has launched Radio Eagles (www.eaglesdubai.com), the world's only online radio station dedicated to playing Eagles music all day long.

The station was developed by the Arabian Radio Network. The band's show next month is their first in the Middle East.

Lindsay Lohan under house arrest

Lindsay Lohan has decided to put herself under house arrest until her probation finishes in two weeks, reported TMZ.

The 25-year-old actress found herself back on the unfavourable side of the news on Thursday after a clubgoer claimed she hit him with her car in Hollywood.

Lohan's family and friends have reportedly begged her to stop going out at night until her probation ends on March 29.

In addition, Lohan is court-ordered to do community service at a morgue.

SRK and Farah Khan reunite

After patching up over a violent brawl last month, the Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan and the director Farah Khan will team up together for a new film titled Happy New Year.

Sources said Farah pitched the movie to Khan before the actor left for a 40-day shoot in London for another project with the actress Katrina Kaif.

This is the third film in which Farah will direct Khan. She directed the blockbuster hits Main Hoon Na and Om Shanti Om for Khan's production house before the star developed differences with Farah's husband Shirish Kunder.

Last month, Jhan reportedly attacked Kunder in a Mumbai hotel. They patched up days later.

* Anjali A

Jessica Simpson holds baby shower

Jessica Simpson celebrated her baby shower on Sunday along with 50 of her closest friends, including Jessica Alba, Ellen Pompeo and her sister Ashlee Simpson, reported People magazine.

Simpson and her fiancé Eric Johnson are having a girl, she told the April issue of Elle magazine, where she appears on the cover.

The 31-year-old recording artist is a mentor and judge in the new reality programme Fashion Star.

Kirstie Alley to hit London stage

Kirstie Alley will return to acting - on the stage. The actress, who was last seen on the programme Dancing with the Stars, posted on Twitter over the weekend: "Just got offered my DREAM play in London!!!"

Iraqi artist exhibits calligraphy

Hassan Massoudy's show Gestures of Light opened yesterday at the Ghaf Art Gallery, as part of the Abu Dhabi Festival.

The Iraqi artist, a traditional Islamic calligrapher, showcases a selection that juxtaposes his signature calligraphic works with a new set of paintings on canvas.

Massoudy will also be conducting a guided tour, an educational workshop and a book signing today from 11am and 3pm.

"I was extremely honoured to be invited to exhibit my work," the artist said. "I have been hosting exhibitions in the West for more than 40 years but this is the first time I have had such a large exhibition in an Arab country."

The exhibit runs until April 15.

Russell Brand to fight charges

Russell Brand plans to fight any charges that result from claims he hurled the photographer Timothy Jackson's iPhone through an office window after catching the paparazzo taking his pictures.

The 36-year-old actor was released on bond on Thursday in New Orleans. But E! News reported yesterday that Brand plans to take the case further and argue he was provoked.

"We are going to fight," Brand's lawyer said in a statement.