This week in clubland: Paris Hilton at Legends; DJ Wankelmut at Saadiyat Beach Club, and more
Analog Room goes overground
After more than two years in basement space The Q Underground, Analog Room goes overground (literally), invading Media One’s huge Level 41 clubbing space to launch a new Finest Friday concept. And they are indeed doing it in fine form, with a trio of DJ heavy-hitters – NYC legend and Wave Music head honcho François K, plus, Berlin-based Romanian producer DJ Cosmin and triple-deck-spinning Detroit upstart Ryan Elliott.
• Friday, May 8, from 6pm at Level 41, Media City Hotel, Dubai Media City. Dh120
After cancelling last week’s appearance at the launch of new nightclub Legends, it was with great relief that we welcomed the news that this international superstar DJ (and occasional socialite) was still coming to grace the capital with her peerless deck prowess. Oh, she’ll also be launching her new single High Off My Love, which sees Hilton veering in a startling new, zeitgeist-grabbing EDM direction.
• Thursday, May 7, from 9pm at Legends, Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel and Resort (02 672 3321)
The hot party decksmith who rammed dance floors and airwaves alike with 2012 summer smash his One Day / Reckoning Song remix will spin an alfresco gig. Warm-up comes from Radio 1 breakfast DJ Danny Cee and local urban staple Dany Neville.
• Friday, May 8,from 4pm at Saadiyat Island Beach Club. Tickets Dh125 from www.timeouttickets.com
UK DJ Funkagenda smashed it at Sandance in 2011 with his aggressive, big-room sound and promises a “deeply personal” set here at Zero Gravity. His CV includes winning a Grammy for his work on The Black Eyes Peas’ The E.N.D.
• Thursday, May 7, from 6pm at Zero Gravity, SkyDive Dubai. Men free before 10pm, women free before midnight, Dh100 thereafter
This valued UAE musicians’ platform celebrates its first anniversary with its biggest gig yet – eight acts including Nikotin, Discord, Daisygrim, Chronicles of Khan and Vin Sinners, performing over nine hours of rock and metal heaviness.
• Saturday, May 9, from 4pm at Boracay, in Dubai’s Asiana Hotel. See www.facebook.com/MusiciansUnitedUAE
• Regional comedy staple The Laughter Factory returns to Dubai in Dubai with shows at Mövenpick JBR (today and tomorrow), McGettigan’s JLT (May 13) and Grand Millenium TECOM (May 14). Tickets Dh140.
• Rock fans rejoice – a top tribute to Guns n’ Roses is coming to town. Fresh from a shamelessly fun gig at the same venue last year, the Guns n’ Roses Experience will be back at Dubai’s The Music Room on Friday May 22, for a cheesy tribute which comes complete with top hats, bandannas – and note-perfect guitar solos. Tickets Dh100.
• Celebrate the great heritage of Italian opera at Dubai’s Madinat Theatre this summer. The annual Italian Opera Gala promises famous arias from Mozart’s Don Giovanni, Rossini’s Barbiere di Siviglia, Donizetti’s Elisir D’amore, Puccini’s Madama Butterfly and more, all interpreted by the Italian soprano Monica De Rosa McKay and the bass Pierpaolo Palloni. Tickets Dh150.