Jessica Hill rounds up six after-school activities from kids to try — from learning Russian to getting handy with a sewing machine.
There’s more to football than playing matches. Showing off your ball skills is fast gaining credence as a form of artistic self-expression, boosted by Nike’s global advertising campaign. Teacher Samy charges Dh200 for one-hour sessions.
• Football Centre, Al Quoz 1, 15a Street, 0565599694; www.thefcdubai.com/freestyle-ball
Russian language course
Moë sudno na vozdušnoj poduške polno ugrej — that’s “My hovercraft is full of eels” in Russian. For more useful Russian phrases, check out this course for children aged 6 to 17.
• Dh120 for a 90-minute class, target training and development, Knowledge Village, Dubai; Saturdays from September 17 at 9.30am, 10.30am and 12pm; www.ttd-dubai.com/en
This eight-week course gets fashionistas familiar with using mood boards, simple pattern tracing, and getting handy with a sewing machine. At the end, they take home their own garment.
• Wednesdays 4pm to 6pm from September 14, Dh1040, for girls aged 7 to 16, Fashion Designer Kidz, Mall of the Emirates, Dubai; www.fashiondesignerkidz.com
Does your child take endless selfies? Whether they aspire to be a social-media sensation or a journalist, this course teaches the techniques — pacing, body language and professional improvisation.
• From October 3 at Abu Dhabi’s Twofour54; from October 2 at InterContinental Dubai Marina Hotel. Dh1,500; www.mirandadavidsonstudios.com
Your child does not need Latino blood to get a flair for flamenco. Classes, which take place on Tuesday afternoons, are for 7 to 10-year-olds (Dh50) and 11 plus (Dh60). The first class, on September 6, is free.
• Bodytree Studio, Abu Dhabi, call 02 443 4448 or visit www.bodytreestudio.com
If your child likes an audience, this musical theatre programme is just the ticket. This term they are bringing Hayden Tee, who plays Javert in Les Miserables, to work with students.
• Dh80 for a session, for ages 2 to 15, at Yellow Submarine Nursery, Al Zeina, Abu Dhabi, and at Al Ghazal Golf Club Academy Room; free sessions available on September 1 and 3