Middle East Film and Comic Con: budding actors can attend an open casting call
If you see yourself as the next Rami Malek, this could be your chance
Any UAE-based actors will need to get down to Middle East Film and Comic Con next month, because as well as star spotting, comic book browsing and cosplay dressing, there will also be an open casting call, looking for the next big movie star right here in the UAE.
It was announced today that MEFCC will launch a nation-wide search for the next big movie star with talent agency, Miranda Davidson Studios.
The two-day casting call will take place at the Dubai World Trade Centre from 6pm to 10pm, on April 12 and 13.
Budding talents should buy their MEFCC tickets ahead of the weekend, then register their interest on the MEFCC website. The winner will be cast in the MEFCC 2020 promotional video and receive a one-year agency contract with Miranda Davidson Studios.
In the past, Miranda Davidson Studios have had a hand in casting Hollywood movies, including Fast and Furious, Star Trek Beyond (which was vastly shot in Dubai) and the Abu Dhabi-shot Netflix movies War Machine and 6 Underground.
“If you’re an actor and you want to be in Hollywood or Bollywood, we will not only help [but] connect you with local casting directors, directors, producers and talent representatives, we will also give you the tools on how to go to larger markets,” Davidson explained at the MEFCC press launch on March 26.
“We’re going to take that talent and we’re going to develop them and we’re going to produce somebody from obscurity, for lack of a better term, and give them a platform to show themselves,” the talent agency CEO adds.
No experience is necessary for the casting call and anyone can apply.
Entrants must simply be over six years old, able to present a one-minute monologue, and ready to tell the judges why they should be the face of Miranda Davidson Studios in 60 seconds or less.
Miranda Davidson's top tips to ace a casting call:
- Make sure head to the headshot photobooth when you arrive at the Middle East Film & Comic Con. This will give you time to get your “sides” (casting material) ahead of time and also squeeze in some good practice.
- When you get your “epic movie moment” remember to look up the movie and learn about your character beforehand. Who are they? What do they want? Who are they talking too?
- Don't try and be like the actor who originally played the role. Use your own imagination and make it your own. These opportunities do not come around too often, so take full advantage of the moment.
- Be genuine and don’t hold back. Be your most authentic self.
- You only have a few minutes in the casting, but they are all yours. It’s your time to shine so be prepared and maximise every second.
- Take some deep abdominal breaths before you cast. Find a calm place to centre yourself. Remember the experts want you to succeed and will guide you through the process.
- Have fun! Acting is fun, and we want to see that you have the raw passion, enjoyment and enthusiasm for the craft to make a career from this.
- Be patient and make friends with other actors. It’s more fun when you have friends who share your dream.
- Soak in as much of the knowledge and experience as you can. We don’t expect perfection. We want to be a part of your journey so make the most of it.
Updated: March 27, 2019 11:00 AM