Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 23 September 2020

Antonio Banderas announces he has the coronavirus on his 60th birthday

The 'Pain and Glory' actor said he is celebrating his milestone birthday in quarantine

Antonio Banderas has revealed he has tested positive for the coronavirus. EPA
Antonio Banderas has revealed he has tested positive for the coronavirus. EPA

Actor Antonio Banderas has revealed he has tested positive for the coronavirus, sharing the news with fans on August 10, his 60th birthday.

The Academy-Award nominee, who is one of Spain’s most famous faces, told fans he was feeling “relatively well”, but was still celebrating his milestone birthday in quarantine.

“I want to make public the news that today, on August 10, I am celebrating my 60th birthday in quarantine, as I have tested positive for the coronavirus, Covid-19,” he wrote in a message shared on Twitter in Spanish, alongside a photo of himself as a child.

“I would also like to add that I’m feeling relatively well, only a little more tired than usual. I am confident that I will recover quickly by following medical advice, which I hope will allow me to overcome the virus that I am suffering from, and that is affecting so many people around the planet.”

The star's account has been flooded with well wishes since he revealed the news, including from fellow actors Carlos Bardem and Santi Rodriguez.

He is the latest high-profile name to confirm a positive diagnosis for the coronavirus. Actors Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson were among the first Hollywood stars to contract the virus, while Bollywood veteran Amitabh Bachchan and his actor son Abhishek and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai last week shared they had all recovered from the virus after time in hospital. Amitabh was hospitalised for three weeks.

Updated: August 10, 2020 05:43 PM

Editor's Picks
THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
Sign up to our daily email
Most Popular