Eyes on the prize: inside the 2019 World Pokemon Championships - in pictures
The annual event sees the best players from around the world come together to compete
Gotta catch ‘em all. At least that’s what players were trying to do at the 2019 World Pokemon Championships that took place in Washington DC on Friday, August 16 to Sunday, August 18.
Competing for a share of $500,000 (Dh1.83m) in prize money, the invite-only event saw players in the competition take part in Pokemon video games, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Pokken and, for the first time, a special Pokemon Go Invitational. Winners were crowned in the junior, senior and masters division as well as the first Pokemon Go champion.
Here’s a list of the winners from the three-day event:
Pokemon World Video Game Champions
- Junior Division: Pi Wu from Taiwan
- Senior Division: Ko Tsukide from Japan
- Masters Division: Naoto Mizobuchi from Japan
Pokemon World Trading Card Game Champions
- Junior Division: Haruki Miyamoto from Japan
- Senior Division: Kaya Lichleitner from Germany
- Masters Division: Henry Brand from Australia
Pokken World Champions
- Senior Division: Collin "Ashgreninja1" Jones from the United States
- Masters Division: Subutan from Japan
Pokemon Go Invitational
- Overall Winner: Pogokieng
- Second: Poke AK
- Third: Carrymeh
Next year’s iteration has already been announced with London hosting the 2020 World Pokemon Championships. The game's best players from around the world will come together to compete in the biggest games in the Pokemon franchise.
Updated: August 19, 2019 02:14 PM