x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 23 July 2017

Akshay Kumar reveals reluctance to commit to new film

Plus: Shruti Seth favours TV anchor work; novelist Bhagat honoured to work in Bollywood; Bachchan delays Bhoothnath sequel; Hollywood designer to debut at Lakmé Fashion Week.

The actor Akshay Kumar. IANS
The actor Akshay Kumar. IANS

Akshay Kumar says it took three to four months of contemplation before he committed to his new film Special Chabbis, because he was perplexed by the script. "The first time I read the script, I didn't understand it. Sometimes you don't understand a script until somebody narrates it to you," said the 45-year-old actor. Special Chabbis is based on an actual event from the 1980s in which a group of 26 men stole money from rich industrialists by posing as law officers and tax officials. Kumar added that the film carried an important message. "Through this film, we want to tell everyone to be very careful and alert. There are huge posters of bogus police at Juhu [a Mumbai suburb]," he claimed. * IANS

Shruti Seth favours TV anchor work

The actress Shruti Seth says she prefers hosting television shows over movie acting as she relishes the interaction with a live audience. "The best part about anchoring is that I get to be me as opposed to playing a character in a show or film," said the 35-year-old, who is married to the director Danish Aslam. "Hosting shows keeps me entertained and occupied. I balance my work life perfectly with anchoring and acting. Live audience is the most satisfying thing for any person on the stage," she said. * IANS

Novelist Bhagat honoured to work in Bollywood

The bestselling author Chetan Bhagat says he feels privileged to be employed as a Bollywood scriptwriter. After writing the screenplay of Kai Po Che! - an adaptation of his novel The 3 Mistakes of My Life - the 38-year-old author from Mumbai is now writing the script for a Telugu film remake. The film, Kick, will star Salman Khan. "I'm lucky Bollywood has liked my stories. It feels good because writers don't get noticed so much. Not only are they making films on my books, but I'm also working with talented people," he said. * IANS

Bachchan delays Bhoothnath sequel

The filmmaker Nitesh Tiwari says shooting will begin on the sequel to the 2008 movie Bhoothnath as soon as dates are confirmed from Amitabh Bachchan. "We will start shooting once we get Amitabh Bachchan's dates. He is busy with his other commitments. So once we get Big B's dates, we will start rolling. The film is in its early stage," said Tiwari, who previously directed 2011's Chillar Party. Tiwari also said the rest of the cast and the title of the sequel have not yet been decided. "It will be altogether a fresh story. We are contemplating other titles as well. We are [as] yet deciding the star cast." * IANS

Hollywood designer to make Lakmé Fashion Week debut

The Indian-American fashion designer Naeem Khan will showcase his new collection at Lakmé Fashion Week in Mumbai next month. The New York-based Khan will be debuting his signature repertoire in India for the first time at the fashion gala, which starts on March 22. "I am incredibly excited to showcase my collection in India for the first time, especially in my hometown of Mumbai. It is truly an honour to be part of Lakmé Fashion Week, India's answer to the international runway, and I am thrilled to announce our partnership," said Khan, whose clothes have recently been sported by the likes of Michelle Obama, Queen Noor of Jordan, Beyoncé, Penelope Cruz, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift. * IANS