10 things to do today: Head to Beats on the Beach, visit RAK for the Dragon Boat Regatta, and more
Your daily guide to community and cultural activities across the Emirates for November 25, 2016, including performances, festivals, art exhibitions, film screenings, health and fitness events, talks, classes, workshops and family fun.
Head to Nation Towers and see a performance by Drama Queens as part of the Shop and Win Campaign, which features entertainment, prizes and international acts. Drama Queens is a 10-minute showcase of stunning choreography and costumes to contemporary and classic dance routines in a montage of favourite dramatic musicals, including Cabaret, Chicago and Moulin Rouge.
• Today, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, first floor, Nations Galleria, Nation Towers, Corniche, Abu Dhabi, www.nationtowers.ae
Beats on the Beach continues tonight with American rapper Big Sean (pictured), Jamaican hip-hop artist Sean Paul, Jordanian singer Adham Nabulsi, regional boy-band The5 and Dubai-based singer-songwriter Esther Eden. Plus the F1 FanZone opens at 4pm, where you can watch the second Grand Prix practice session from 5pm.
• Today, live music begins at 6.30pm, free, F1 FanZone stage, Corniche, Abu Dhabi, www.yasalam.ae
Shop for holiday gifts at the Alliance Française Abu Dhabi Christmas market. Find crafts by local artisans as well as sweets to celebrate the festive days. There will be carolling, children’s activities, and at 4.30pm, a surprise guest will arrive.
• Tomorrow, 9.30am to 5.30pm, free entrance, Alliance Française Abu Dhabi, near the Irish Embassy, Abu Dhabi, 02 612 2900, www.afabudhabi.org
Visit Yas Mall, where The Kalima Project for translation, an Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority programme, presents A Celebration of 900 Books to commemorate the UAE’s Year of Reading with a book fair, discount on Kalima publications, seminars on translation, cultural activities including sign language, and children’s programmes.
• From 2pm to 10pm today, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday; 10am to 10pm on Saturday, Yas Mall, discounts on Kalima publications available until Tuesday at Jarir Bookstores at Nation Galleria, Dalma Mall and Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi, www.yasmall.ae
In the action drama Allied, Brad Pitt stars as Max Vatan, a Canadian intelligence officer who meets French resistance fighter Marianne Beauséjour (Marion Cotillard) on a secret mission behind enemy lines in North Africa in 1942. They fall in love, get married and start a family, but their relationship is tested by the pressures of war. Also starring Vincent Ebrahim, Xavier De Guillebon, Camille Cottin and Vincent Latorre.
• Screening at cinemas across the UAE (15+)
The Fridge Fringe is on tonight and Jordanian band Jadal hits the stage with pioneering Arabic rock. Their name means “controversy” and their style will remind you of American rock acts such as Deftones or Tool, but the band, featuring singer-songwriter Ahmad Farah, makes the genre their own by singing in Arabic.
• Tonight, doors open at 7pm, music from 8pm, from Dh80, The Fridge, Alserkal Avenue, Al Quoz 1, Dubai, 04 347 7793, www.platinumlist.net
Ras Al Khaimah
Visit Ras Al Khaimah for the Dragon Boat Regatta, featuring 30 boats with teams from across the country competing in seven race classes, in competitive and corporate categories. Each boat seats 20 paddlers, a steersman and a drummer. Prizes include medals and trophies.
• Today, 8am to 5pm, free entry, Ras AI Khaimah International Marine Sports Club, Corniche, Ras Al Khaimah, search “RAK Dragon Boat Team” on www.facebook.com
Register to take part in a ceramic tile workshop at 1971 – Design Space in Sharjah. Learn to make decorative tiles with relief and carving techniques. Choose an Islamic design motif to transfer onto the slab tile.
• Saturday, 11am to 1.30pm, Dh30, 1971 – Design Space, Sharjah, register at 06 528 4644, email@example.com
Head to The Music Room to bang your head at Metal Mania II, featuring German heavy-metal band Steel Engraved, progressive-metal band Voice of the Soul from Lebanon, as well as the UAE’s own heavy-metal band Ascendant (pictured) and nu-metal band Alpha Kenny Buddy.
• Tonight, doors open at 6pm, Dh75, The Music Room, Majestic Hotel, Al Mankhool Road, Bur Dubai, www.facebook.com/musicroomdubai
Register your children ages 5-12 for the Grand Hyatt Dubai Winter Camp at the Kidz Club, where they can take part in arts and crafts and unleash their imagination with lots of indoor and outdoor fun through water games and sporting activities. Lunch will be provided.
• December 18-22, 9.30am to 4pm, Dh300 per day or Dh1,000 per week, Grand Hyatt Dubai, register at 04 317 2449, firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: November 25, 2016 04:00 AM