NEW DELHI // The Commonwealth Games Federation reaffirmed New Delhi as the venue for the next Commonwealth Games, saying yesterday they will work with the Indian authorities to ensure a secure and successful event. Michael Fennell, the CGF president, rejected various media reports that the 2010 games may be shifted to another country due to security concerns after last week's terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
"At no stage has there been discussion about us moving the games from Delhi, and nor has any other city been approached to be on stand-by as has been intimated in some recent media reports," Fennell said. New Delhi was chosen to host the 2010 Commonwealth Games after several previous failed bids. "The CGF will continue to work with appropriate authorities to ensure that appropriate security arrangements are in place so that the Commonwealth's athletes can compete in a safe and secure environment," he said.
Fennell's comments follow those of the Indian organisers who asserted that Mumbai's terror attacks would have no impact on New Delhi staging the Commonwealth Games, for which high-level security had been planned. "The CGF constantly monitors security arrangements for the games and we will continue to do that," Fennell said. However, the World Squash Doubles Championship - to be held in Chennai from Dec 15-20 - has been postponed by the World Squash Federation. The decision was arrived at a day after Australia announced it would not be sending its players to India.