Italy surged to their second Fed Cup tennis title yesterday without losing a match against the United States in the final in Reggio Calabria. Flavia Pennetta charged past Melanie Oudin 7-5, 6-2 in the third singles rubber to put Italy 3-0 ahead and wrap up an easy victory. Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci completed a 4-0 shutout by beating Liezel Huber and Vania King in doubles 4-6, 6-3, 11-9. The fourth singles match was scrapped after Italy clinched the title. Italy had never beaten the US in nine previous Fed Cup ties. "It's incredible, the girls have rewritten the history of Italian tennis," the Italian captain Corrado Barazzutti said. Italy had gone 2-0 ahead in Saturday's singles as the Americans, without Serena and Venus Williams, who opted not to compete, failed to win a set. In other women's tennis action, Aravane Rezai won the Tournament of Champions in Bali yesterday when Marion Bartoli retired with injury after losing the first set 7-5. * Reuters
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- Carlo Ancelotti savours Gareth Bale strike in win over Barcelona
- In pictures: Barca play a little rugby before Copa del Rey final
- Carlos Tevez denies reports of rift with Lionel Messi keeping him out of Argentina squad
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- Finishing touches to luxury Fortnum and Mason shop in Dubai
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
Late strike puts Al Jazira on verge of qualifying for the last 16 of Asian Champions League
All to play for across East Asia during final round of group phase.
Man City’s Manuel Pellegrini says Vincent Kompany is an important player
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini defends team captain and talks about team's injuries ahead of clash with Sunderland at home on Wednesday night.
Asian Cup expanding to 24 football teams in 2019
As part of a regional shake-up, the 2019 Asian Cup will climb to 24 teams but next month’s Challenge Cup in the Maldives will be the last, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) announced.
Competitors at Abu Dhabi Junior World Jiu-Jitsu Championship target world domination
All of Wednesday’s winners at the tournament, being held in the UAE capital, are ambitious enough to target a black belt and reach the pinnacle of the sport, Amith Passela reports.
Kallis kicks off IPL 7 with fifty as Kolkata thrash Mumbai
South African legend shows class is permanent as Knight Riders beat defending champions by 41 runs. Osman Samiuddin reports from Abu Dhabi.
Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
British-Pakistani boxer Amir Khan says his fight with Luis Collazo will be the main attraction on same fight card led by Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana, writes Omar Al Raisi.