There were few surprises when the 65-team NCAA championship bracket was announced on Sunday, with all the predicted top teams earning No 1 seed status. The top-ranked Kansas will begin the college basketball event, affectionately known as "March Madness", in the Midwest against the 16th-ranked Lehigh, while their fellow No 1 regional teams Kentucky, Duke and Syracuse lead the East, South and West respectively. Syracuse face a stiff task to emerge as the national champions having been upset early in the Big East tournament, especially with their centre, Arinze Onuaku, struggling with an injured quadriceps muscle. The tournament will begin with a game between Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Winthrop tonight to determine who makes an entry into what will become a 64-team affair. Contending with Kansas in the Midwest are Ohio State, the second seeds, who will open against UC Santa Barbara. The third-seeded Georgetown take on Ohio, while the fourth-ranked Maryland face Houston. email@example.com
- Hot start on ice for UAE in Challenge Cup of Asia
- Getting ready for some March Maddness
- ‘This is not slit-your-wrist time,’ says 76ers coach after 20th straight NBA loss
- In Desert Bowl II, Abu Dhabi’s Tulysse knew all the right moves
- In pictures: Abu Dhabi Wildcats win the EAFL Desert Bowl II
- MLB hopes Sydney series helps gain foothold for baseball in Australia
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- ‘I don’t expect to be charged because I did nothing,’ Mourinho says
- In pictures: 2014 Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
- Sherwood, England’s great managerial hope, needs a success v Arsenal
- Rooney says Manchester United’s 3-0 loss to Liverpool ‘a nightmare’
- Manchester United pay the penalty for failed game plan against Liverpool
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard spot on in 3-0 win against Manchester United
Two penalties from the Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and a Luis Suarez goal secured a famous win at Old Trafford as Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic was sent off for a fourth time in this fixture.
‘We need to prove to the world we are a better team,’ says Nepal cricket coach
The Himalayan nation were granted the chance to prove themselves to a wider audience after reaching Bangladesh via the qualifying event in the UAE at the end of last year.
Francois Botha and Danny Williams to headline second Thursday Night Fights
Botha (48-10) will draw hands with Williams (48-12) in a scheduled 10-round WPBF Inter-Continental heavyweight title fight as eight fights are on the card at the Emirates Gulf Club in Duabi on May 1.
Asia set to play large role at Dubai World Cup
Saeed bin Suroor and Godolphin provide four runners for home defence
‘I have wasted a lot of points in this race,’ Vettel says after Australian GP
The German four-time defending world champion, along with Mercedes’ 2008 winner Lewis Hamilton both only lasted a handful of laps in the season-opening race won by Nico Rosberg in a Mercedes.
‘This is not slit-your-wrist time,’ says 76ers coach after 20th straight NBA loss
Paul George scored 30 points and Indiana rallied from a 25-point second-quarter in a win, Joakim Noah had 23 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Bulls and John Wall helped rally the Wizards.