Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large

Sauber returns to the F1 fold

BMW has agreed a deal with Peter Sauber over the sale of the team that should guarantee its involvement in Formula One next season.

BMW has agreed a deal with Peter Sauber over the sale of the team that should guarantee its involvement in Formula One next season. An agreement was reached yesterday, with the contract subject to the condition the team has a starting place on the grid for 2010. Doubts had recently been raised about the validity of a prior deal with Qadbak Investments Ltd, which has now been shelved in favour of the sale to Sauber. Toyota's recent withdrawal from F1 had opened the door for the team to take up the 13th slot on the grid for 2010. However, motor sport's world governing body, the FIA, had been reluctant to grant an entry given the uncertain nature of the Qadbak deal. That arose after BMW announced at the end of July they were pulling out of F1 after four years in the sport. Sauber, who sold his team to BMW in 2005, failed with a takeover bid in early August and at the time was critical of the German manufacturing giant. The 65-year-old Swiss claimed negotiations broke down due to BMW's demands being "far too high". But now he has resumed control, as he enjoyed for 13 years prior to selling up four years ago, the FIA are in a position to formally accept Sauber into the fold. A naturally delighted Sauber said: "I am very relieved that we have found this solution. "It means we can keep the Hinwil (Switzerland) location and the majority of the workplaces. "I am convinced the new team has a very good future in Formula One, whose current transformation with new framework conditions will benefit the private teams. "Our staff here are highly competent and motivated, and I look forward to taking on this new challenge together with them. "I would like to thank BMW for four shared years that have, in the main, been very successful." Dr Klaus Draeger, a member of the Board of Management of BMW, is also relieved a deal has been concluded after a period of uncertainty. "We are very happy with this solution," he said. "This fulfils the most important requirement for a successful future for the team. "Our relationship with Peter Sauber has always been excellent and marked by absolute respect. "We would like to express our thanks to Peter and the whole team for the excellent cooperation during the recent four years." The only downside for Sauber is that as part of the agreement he is required to cut the current workforce from 388 employees to around 250, with notices of redundancy having been issued today. Due to the restructuring, the possibility of further redundancies in the near future has not been excluded.

* PA Sport

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Glenn Maxwell's knock that followed ensured Brendon McCullum's knock went in vain after his explosive half-century took Chennai Super Kings past the 200-mark. Ravindranath K / The National

All is well with Punjab as Maxwell and Miller seal win against Chennai

The Australian missed out on a century but his 95 runs, along with Miller's unbeaten half-century, ensured Kings XI scaled a mighty peak of a target in a hot first game of Abu Dhabi's double-header.

 Sunderland manager Gus Poyet protests during the Premier League match against Crystal Palace at The Stadium of Light in Sunderland, northeast England, on March 15, 2014. Ian MacNicol / AFP

Sunderland going out of Premier League with a grumble

Northeast club have underwhelmed during seven-year stay in the top flight

 Hamburg players leave the field after the match against Borussia Moenchengladbach on March 30, 2014. AFP

Hamburg the dinosaur’s time may be up in Bundesliga

Ever-present for 51 years in the German top-flight, Hamburg face the prospect of relegation, writes Ian Hawkey.

 At 105 kg, Gabrielle Garcia has dominated the world circuit and loves many things about being in Abu Dhabi. Ravindranath K / The National

Garcia seeks fresh challenge in MMA after her jiu-jitsu domination

Brazilian prides being a lioness in the sport but feels she can shed 25kg weight to pursue her MMA debut aspirations.

 England's Jonathan Trott hits out during the ICC Champions Trophy semi final match against South Africa at The Oval cricket ground, London June 19, 2013. REUTERS/Philip Brown

England’s Jonathan Trott sidelined with stress-related illness again

Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from professional cricket because of his stress-related illness as England and Wales Cricket Board and Warwickshire confirmed he will stop playing with immediate effect.

 Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho looks on during the Premier League match between Swansea City and Chelsea at the Liberty Stadium on April 13, 2014 in Swansea, Wales. Chris Brunskill/Getty Images

‘That’s why we are a top club’ says Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech

Jose Mourinho’s men will temporarily claim the Premier League top spot if they beat Sunderland, leaving them in control of their own destiny in the title race ahead of a crucial trip to face Liverpool at Anfield on April 27.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National