Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large

Licence revived for Sauber

The governing body agrees to award the 13th spot on the grid, vacated by Toyota, to the former BMW team for next season subject to their signing the Concorde agreement.

The Swiss-based Sauber will take departed Toyota's place as Formula One's 13th team next season, the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) have said in a statement. "Subject to their signing the Concorde Agreement (the commercial agreement that binds teams to the series until 2012), BMW Sauber will be awarded the 13th entry in the Championship, taking the place of the departing Toyota team." The Munich-based carmaker BMW, who bought an 80 percent stake in the team in 2005, announced in July that they were pulling out of the sport at the end of the season just finished. A deal to sell the team to the mysterious Swiss-based investment fund Qadbak fell through and BMW said last week that they had handed back control to founder Peter Sauber. The team had by then already lost their place on the grid to newcomers Lotus F1, with the FIA saying Sauber were the official reserve should any other team decide to withdraw. That vacancy was provided by the Toyota team, who declared after the final race of the year in Abu Dhabi that they were pulling out. However the FIA held back from confirming Sauber's place pending clarification from Toyota about what, if anything, they intended to do with their team. Sauber have already reached an agreement with Ferrari to use the Italian company's engines next year, as they did in their previous existence before the BMW takeover.

Fresh speculation surrounded Renault's Formula One team with media reports suggesting the manufacturer was considering selling to British-based Prodrive. A spokesman for Prodrive, who are based near Renault's Enstone factory in central England, would not confirm or deny the rumours. The French newspaper L'Equipe reported earlier that Renault were considering a deal with Prodrive but planned to continue as an engine supplier to the team and Red Bull. A Renault F1 spokeswoman was not immediately available for comment. Prodrive are run by David Richards, the former Benetton and BAR team boss who is also chairman of Kuwaiti-owned sportscar maker Aston Martin. The company secured a slot to enter Formula One in 2008 but withdrew due to uncertainty over the sport's future regulations. They applied again this year to be one of three new teams but were passed over for Cosworth-powered entries. Renault said last month that they would decide their Formula One future by the end of the year.

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Karim Benzema of Real Madrid celebrates scoring the opening goal in the Champions League semi-final first leg match against Bayern Munich at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday in Madrid, Spain. Martin Rose / Bongarts / Getty Images / April 23, 2014

In pictures: Benzema propels Real Madrid over Bayern Munich

Images from Real Madrid's 1-0 win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-final first leg match at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night.

 UAE’s Charlie Sargent tries to avoid a tackle by Singapore team members during the one-off Division 1 Test at The Sevens. The Singapore-born winger was making his debut. Sarah Dea / The National

Asian Five Nations: UAE go into rebuilding mode in Division 2

With a new look squad, including five emerging Emirati players, the UAE will hope to restructure and get into the winning habit in more forgiving climes when they drop a level in the revamped competition next season.

 Chris Gayle has been the most feared batsman in the Royal Challengers Bangalore line-up since he joined the team in 2011. Indranil Mukherjee / AFP

Parthiv continues to fill Gayle’s big shoes for Bangalore

Indian wicketkeeper-batsman will continue to open the innings for Royal Challengers with the West Indian still nursing his bad back, writes Paul Radley.

 Ian Poulter is fifth on the points list to make the cut in a 12-man European side for the Ryder Cup. Paul Lakatos / AFP

Ian Poulter sees momentum in Europe’s squad-building, with Ryder

Lot of players are striking well to stay in contention for the 12 spots in the team, but there is still lot of time before September, he warns.

 Erykan Bityutsky pulls a 4x4 car during the final day of the UAE Strongman Competition in Dubai. Delores Johnson / The National

UAE Strongman Competition takes weight training to a whole new scale

Two-day competition in Dubai attracts men and women from across the Emirates and proves it takes more than just bulky muscles to win, writes Ali Khaled.

 Benfica's Oscar Cardozo, from Paraguay, lifts the trophy celebrating after beating Olhanense on Sunday at Estadio da Luz. Benfica's 2-0 clinched them the Portuguese Primeira Liga championship. They will play Juventus in the the first leg of their Europa League semi-final tie on Thursday April 24. Francisco Seco / AP / April 20, 2014

Ambitious Benfica ready for Juventus while Sevilla and Valencia set to battle in Europa last-four

Benfica, fresh off clinching their 33rd Portuguese title, are looking to keep Juventus from reaching the Europa League final - which will be played in Turin - while the other semi-final sees La Liga rivals Sevilla and Valencia clash.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National