Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Cesc Fabregas, centre, could be solid in midfield for Manchester United. Manu Fernandez / AP Photo
Cesc Fabregas, centre, could be solid in midfield for Manchester United. Manu Fernandez / AP Photo

Transfer talk: Manchester United make second bid for Cesc Fabregas

David Moyes, manager of English Premier League club, breaks news about undisclosed offer for Barcelona midfielder.

Manchester United have made a second bid for Cesc Fabregas, the Barcelona and Spain midfielder.

United confirmed last Monday that they had made a first offer for the former Arsenal star, and manager David Moyes said at a news conference in Yokohama on Monday that a second offer had been lodged.

Ed Woodward, the executive vice-chairman, returned to the UK ahead of schedule last Wednesday to carry out some urgent transfer business, and Moyes confirmed on Monday: "As I understand it, Ed had a response [to the first offer]. We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me."

So far, United have not made any new signings this summer, other than Guillermo Varela, the Uruguay Under 20 star.

And whilst Moyes accepts there may come a time when he has to walk away from the deal, that position has not been reached yet.

"I think a point does come," said Moyes. "But when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise.

"I will hope things will continue to move forward.

"At this moment in time I can only tell you Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen. We hope some of them will fall into place shortly."

In addition to Fabregas, Moyes has also been linked with marquee signings Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, plus Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.

So far though, there has been no reinforcements.

And Moyes conceded he can understand why some fans are nervous.

"I can understand that feeling," he said. "But there have been quite a few changes. Other managers have changed their clubs too and everybody thought this might be the summer when transfers are done later in the month.

"That was always the thought I had when I came into the club.

"You have to remember I only started on July 1, so in truth I have only been in the job three weeks at this present time."

Moyes confirmed he expects Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans and Alex Buttner will have recovered from minor injuries in time to face J League outfit Yokohama F Marinos on Tuesday.

And Chris Smalling and Ashley Young could also play some part after recovering from foot and ankle injuries respectively, while Japan star Shinji Kagawa has also joined up.

"They probably won't start in this game but I want to get them involved," said Moyes of the latter trio.

"Young and Smalling have been training very hard back home and Shinji has been on holiday but he has been training.

"We will involve the three players as we go along."

For Kagawa it is the start of an important season, having failed to make the impact he hoped after a 17 million (Dh95.7m) switch from Borussia Dortmund 12 months ago.

That Dortmund subsequently went on to face Bayern Munich in the Champions League final could have left Kagawa believing he had made a mistake coming to Old Trafford, but he insists that is not the case.

"I was proud to see my former team play in the Champions League final, and I was very excited for them," he said (see gallery).

"But it didn't make me feel I had made the wrong choice.

"In fact it made me feel stronger because I want to be on the same field in future."

sports@thenational.ae

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Al Ahli's Ismail Al Hammadi, left, battles for the ball during the Arabian Gulf Cup final between against Al Jazira at Hazza bin Zayed Stadium on April 19, 2014. Al Hammadi hit the game-winner in the 81st minute for Ahli. Al Ittihad

Al Ahli maintain course for domestic treble with victory over Al Jazira in Arabian Gulf Cup

Al Ahli maintained their hopes of a domestic treble with a superb comeback victory against Al Jazira in the Arabian Gulf Cup final on Saturday night.

 Alex Kacaniklic, left, of Fulham tackles Christian Eriksen of Tottenham Hotspur during their Premier League match at White Hart Lane on April 19, 2014, in London, England. Clive Rose / Getty Images

Tottenham keep pace in chase for European places with victory over Fulham

Swansea appear to be safe after rallying past Newcastle while Crystal Palace continue their winning streak

 On a track described as a ‘tyre-killer’ in Shanghai, Lewis Hamilton went untested on his way to a 34th pole – the most by a British driver – yesterday. Carlos Barria / Reuters

Hamilton has sympathy for fans hung out to dry with wet tyre rules

The Briton takes his career's 34th pole - the most by a British driver - but sympathises it was not ideal for the ticket-paying public.

 Yuzvendra Chahal, centre, and the Royal Challengers Bangalore teammates celebrate after the bowlers set up an easy win over Mumbai Indians. Pawan Singh / The National

Bowlers set up Bangalore as Patel stand tall over Mumbai

Mumbai bowlers gave early hope but Parthiv Patel and AB de Villiers' unbeaten stand of 99 ensures second defeat for the men in blue in Dubai.

 Roelof Kotzee is leading UAE to unchartered territory. Sarah Dea / The National

UAE step into the unknown ahead of Asian Five Nations

Performance manager Roelof Kotze will give 12 players their first experience of international rugby, but there is also minimal information on Singapore ahead of first Test in Dubai on Wednesday, reports Paul Radley.

 Novak Djokovic of Serbia winces in pain during his semi-final match against Roger Federer of Switzerland at the Monte Carlo Masters on April 19, 2014. Federer prevailed to set up an all-Swiss final with Stanislas Wawrinka. SEBASTIEN NOGIER / EPA

Ailing Djokovic will ‘just rest now’ while Nadal not pressing the panic button

Djokovic says only rest will help is injured right wrist after he falls to Roger Federer on Saturday, and Nadal suffers just his third career defeat in Monte Carlo when he slumped to a shock 7-6, 6-4 quarter-final loss to compatriot Ferrer on Friday.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National