The club are closing in on a £15m (Dh86.9m) deal with Lyon for the 25-year-old stopper.
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas says he expects Tottenham to step up their pursuit of the player in the coming days after the club had made contact over his availability.
"I told Hugo today about certain exchanges," Aulas said at a press conference.
"Things progressed during these talks but nothing's concrete yet.
"I've informed Hugo of these discussions. We'll have to be a bit patient to find out.
"The decision belongs to Hugo who, I think, will be approached by Tottenham very soon. The clubs' positions have moved closer together.
"It is up to him to decide if the conditions of the transfer are suitable, in terms of what he expects in fiscal and sporting terms."
FC Twente defender Douglas looks set to reject a move to the English Premier League in order to remain in Holland, according to his management group.
However, speaking to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf this morning, Rodrigo da Silveira from MP9 Sports has denied talk of a move to Fulham or anywhere else.
"We are not in London and won't go to London. We are with Douglas in Enschede and are not negotiating with Fulham," he said.
"On Thursday Douglas will play against Bursaspor. Douglas is very happy at FC Twente and wanted to remain there this season."
Controversial QPR midfielder Joey Barton has revealed his expected move to Marseille looks to have collapsed, leaving the player's future at Loftus Road once more in doubt.
The 29-year-old confirmed on Twitter he was back training with QPR's reserve team, after having admitted earlier this week he was ready to move to the Ligue 1 side.
He wrote this afternoon: "Doesn't look like this Marseille thing is gonna happen now. 'Whatever doesn't kill you make you stronger'
"Why can't things just be simple...
"Been forced to go back training with the kids and fellow Taliban members at 2pm today...
"Maybe this is time to dumb down and be dishonest. It seems to take you a long way in this game... "
Barton is serving a 12-match ban following his sending off against Manchester City at the end of last season.
Denmark star Simon Poulson has joined Sampdoria on a free transfer.
The 27-year-old defender, who was being courted by a host of top flight clubs across Europe, left AZ Alkmaar at the end of his contract last season.
He looks set to make his debut for Sampdoria this weekend against Siena after passing a medical and signing a three-year deal with the club.
Fulham striker Danny Hoesen is in line for a shock EU500,000 (Dh2.3m) move to Dutch giants Ajax.
The 21-year-old Dutchman, who has yet to feature for the Craven Cottage side's first team, is on the verge of a three-year deal at the Amsterdam Arena, after an impressive spell on loan with Fortuna Sittard last term.
"The biggest club in the Netherlands - as a young boy you dream of that," he told Algemeen Dagblad.
"Initially, I could hardly believe Ajax was interested, but after I spoke with Marc Overmars I knew it was serious.
Real Zaragoza have confirmed the signing of midfielder Stefan Babovic from Partizan Belgrade.
The Serbian international moves to the Estadio de la Romareda on a three year deal.
"I am delighted because I have come to the best league in the world and I will give everything I have to match Zaragoza's standards," he told the club's website.
Inter Milan have completed the signing of Uruguay international Alvaro Pereira from Porto for an undisclosed fee.
The 26-year-old winger, who can also play at left-back, has agreed a four-year contract at the San Siro.
After joining Porto from Cluj in 2009, Pereira was part of Andre Villas-Boas' Europa League winning team in 2011.
He also won two Portuguese league championships and six domestic cups during his time with the Dragoes.
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE