Luka Modric, the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, will be fined for refusing to take part in the north London club's preseason tour of America, Andre Villas-Boas, the manager, has confirmed. The 26 year old, who is being linked with a move to Real Madrid, did not join teammates as they flew out to Los Angeles on Saturday. Spurs have since confirmed that the player has returned to London to begin preseason training. Villas-Boas was open about the transfer interest being shown in the Croatian international and said the club had been given no option but to reprimand Modric for his no-show.
Laurent Koscielny, the France defender, has agreed to sign a new long-term contract with Arsenal. The Gunners declined to reveal the length of the contract in announcing the deal on their website. Koscielny said: "I have had a fantastic time here and look forward to an exciting future with Arsenal." The 26 year old was signed by manager Arsene Wenger from the French club Lorient in 2010. He has played more games for the team than any other player since arriving, making 85 appearances.
Gareth Barry, the Manchester City midfielder, is targeting a swift return to action after undergoing abdominal surgery. The 31 year old, who underwent a hernia operation in Munich two weeks ago having been ruled out of the England squad for Euro 2012, told the club's official website: "Early signs are really good. The scars have healed really well, but we will see how I feel when I start playing again. Fingers crossed it will all have healed up. I don't really want to put a timescale on it, but hopefully I will be ready for the main games starting."
Lucas Moura's agent has claimed a proposed move to Manchester United will not go through unless Sir Alex Ferguson meets Sao Paulo's asking price. The United manager has confirmed his interest in the 19-year-old winger, but denied claims that the two clubs had reached agreement over a £26 million (Dh148.4m) transfer. The player's agent, Wagner Ribeiro, told www.uol.com.br: "They [United] have reached their limit, they will not offer anything more. He will not leave. He is happy in Sao Paulo. This matter has to be terminated, there is no possibility of him leaving now. Manchester United made an offer which was refused, and will not do another because they came up to their limit."
Gabriel Agbonlahor has pledged his future to Aston Villa after being linked with a move to Sunderland. The striker, 25, who has three years left on his contract, said he will be happy to remain with Villa: "I'm just laughing at myself thinking 'where do they get these links from?' I'm an Aston Villa player, it's my home club, I love the club."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE