Paris St Germain are in talks with Ronaldo's agent with a view to bringing the Brazilian to the Ligue 1 club. Alain Roche, the man in charge of recruitment at PSG, has travelled to Brazil where he will spend around 10 days scouring the country's league for possible signings. High up on his wishlist is free agent Ronaldo, who is close to making a recovery from a serious knee injury he had surgery on back in February.
PSG president Charles Villeneuve admits his club are following the double World Cup winner closely while the player's representative, Fabiano Farah, has revealed discussions have already taken place. "Yes, I have spoken to the representatives of PSG," Farah said in L'Equipe. "They called me and we discussed certain things but I can't go into detail. "Taking into account his list of achievements and his standing, he must have a club with an ambitious outlook who can offer him the possibility of winning major titles."
Villeneuve added: "Everything depends on the progression of his recovery from injury, if one day Ronaldo can rediscover his form of old or at least a satisfying level. "We have some news on Ronaldo, we are following his progression. For the moment, I am leaving my people to deal with it all. But it is clear that I am open to anything." Ronaldo, 32, is currently in rehabilitation in Flamengo and is "one or two months away" from a return action, according to Paolo Figueiredo, one of the striker's physios.
Meanwhile, PSG travel south to face Marseille tonight in the derby of France - the fiercest rivalry in French football - expecting a backlash after Eric Gerets' side were sunk 2-0 by PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League on Wednesday, all but ending any hopes they had of making the competition's last 16. The team have come in for some criticism in the press but Gerets said: "We are playing at home, the stadium will be full, there is a lot at stake - we are perhaps playing to go top. This isn't the same PSG as last year; they have other ambitions. But so do we. Don't fret, we will be ready. I know we are going to win."
David Beckham admits he is "honoured" to have the chance of linking up AC Milan - but insists any deal with the Serie A giants will not affect his future with the Los Angeles Galaxy. The midfielder is in talks with Milan and is expected to agree a loan deal to join Carlo Ancelotti's side in the next few days. Explaining his interest in joining the Rossoneri on a short-term basis, Beckham said: "One of the reasons I want to train and play in Milan for a few months is the fact that the MLS season doesn't run as long as the European season and my body is programmed to actually not have that amount of time off.
"AC Milan is one of the biggest clubs in the world, I've been lucky enough to play with one of the biggest clubs in England and Spain and now I'm being given the chance to play with one of the biggest clubs in Italy. I'm very honoured." Ancelotti insists there is plenty of room for Beckham in his star-studded squad, who travel to Atalanta today. "Beckham is a great footballer and he can play anywhere," he told the Gazzetta dello Sport. "He can play in the centre of midfield or on the wing. Champions are resources, never problems."
* With agencies