The list of candidates to win the 2009 Ballon d'Or award was reduced to 10 men, with Lionel Messi, the Barcelona and Argentina forward, being the overwhelming favourite. A list of 30 players released last month is now down to 10, with Messi and last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo featuring prominently, the award organisers - France Football magazine - said on their website. Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o, Steven Gerrard, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Andres Iniesta, Kaka, Wayne Rooney and Xavi are the other players still in contention. There were no Italian or German players on the original 30-man list. Now there is no French player either with Karim Benzema, Yoann Gourcuff and Franck Ribery all dropped. Fernando Torres, Frank Lampard and Cesc Fabregas are among the other high-profile casualties. The result of the vote by football journalists to name the winner of the award formerly known as the European Footballer of the Year will be announced on Tuesday.
- Silva service for Manchester City in 2-0 win over Hull
- Sherwood, England’s great managerial hope, needs a success v Arsenal
- Wayne Rooney says Suarez ‘is up there’ with Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo
- At pivotal moment, Liverpool and United meet on wildly divergent paths
- Karl Hopfner named Uli Hoeness’ successor at Bayern Munich
- ‘Lack of clinical finishing’ says Anigo, costing Europe-chasing Marseille
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Manchester defenders scapegoats or examples of poor strategy by football coaches?
- Liverpool ‘challenging the team at the the top, not Manchester United’ says Rodgers
- ‘Convinced the team is ready, even without Ozil’ for Tottenham, says Arsenal’s Wenger
- Abu Dhabi Wildcats tame Dubai Stallions to retain EAFL title
- Brownlee brothers win short course together at Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
In pictures: Abu Dhabi Harlequins and Dubai Hurricanes face off
The sides went head-to-head in Abu Dhabi on Friday night, with Harlequins emerging victorious 43-23.
Beating tough nuts Nepal raises UAE’s spirits ahead of World Twenty20
They were beaten by the Netherlands, who they meet first in this competition on Monday, and Nepal in practice matches in Sharjah last week.
Mercedes duo hold early edge at Australian Grand Prix
Defending champion Vettel shakes off poor preseason to post fourth-best lap
Shhh! Fans make noise about Formula One’s new ‘vacuum cleaner’ engines
Team officials not as bothered by absence of usual engine roar
Al Jazira hope to keep good times rolling in League Cup semi-final against Al Dhafra
Capital side in thick of busy schedule while Al Dhafra return to action after two-week hiatus
Sharjah to rely on fresh legs and home advantage in League Cup semi-final against Al Ahli
Al Ahli trying to keep pace with demands of push for trophies on four fronts