Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
Former Fifa vice president Jack Warner.
Former Fifa vice president Jack Warner.

Concacaf corruption report claims Australian centre of excellence money 'stolen' by Jack Warner

Australian football chiefs have demanded answers after the damning integrity report into Caribbean football claimed more than Dh1.6m donated to set up a centre of excellence in the region was siphoned off by the disgraced former Fifa vice president.

Australian football chiefs have demanded answers after a damning report claimed a $462,000 (Dh1.69m) donation made to a Caribbean football organisation was allegedly stolen by disgraced former Fifa kingpin Jack Warner.

The incident was detailed in a integrity report by the Caribbean, North and Central American international football body, Concacaf, that accuses Warner of enriching himself through fraud.

The report, compiled by several former judges into the financial management of Concacaf, relates to when the former Fifa vice president headed the organisation.

It said FFA paid a cheque into a Caribbean bank account maintained by Concacaf in 2010 to help the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation improve a centre of excellence (COE).

The donation was part of Australia's attempt to demonstrate its international football credentials during its failed bid to host the 2022 World Cup.

But the account was allegedly controlled by Warner, who quit Fifa in 2011 after being accused of paying bribes, headed the organisation. who pocketed the money and never declared it to the governing body, the report said.

"The committee concluded that Warner committed fraud and misappropriated funds that were sent by Football Federation Australia to Concacaf for development of the COE," the integrity report said.

"(He) breached his fiduciary duties to Concacaf through fraud and misappropriation of funds."

Warner, who stepped down as Concacaf president in 2011, denies any wrongdoing but resigned as Trinidad and Tobago's minister of security over the weekend.

A spokesman for the Football Federation Australia said the cash had been donated with "complete transparency", and Australian football authorities only became aware it had allegedly been misused when the Concacaf report came out over the weekend.

"FFA is currently considering the findings of the Concacaf Integrity Committee report," said the spokesman.

"FFA has assisted Concacaf in this investigation and yesterday wrote to Concacaf regarding next steps."

He said the funding "related to the mandatory Fifa World Cup bidding criteria".

"FFA was required to demonstrate its credentials in the area of international development," he said, adding that all funding was reported to the Australian government.

Despite a $45 million (Dh170m) grant from the government and intense lobbying, Australia managed to secure just one vote when the Fifa executive committee decided the 2022 hosts, with Qatar winning the hosting rights instead.

sports@thenational.ae

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Glenn Maxwell's knock that followed ensured Brendon McCullum's knock went in vain after his explosive half-century took Chennai Super Kings past the 200-mark. Ravindranath K / The National

All is well with Punjab as Maxwell and Miller seal win against Chennai

The Australian missed out on a century but his 95 runs, along with Miller's unbeaten half-century, ensured Kings XI scaled a mighty peak of a target in a hot first game of Abu Dhabi's double-header.

 Sunderland manager Gus Poyet protests during the Premier League match against Crystal Palace at The Stadium of Light in Sunderland, northeast England, on March 15, 2014. Ian MacNicol / AFP

Sunderland going out of Premier League with a grumble

Northeast club have underwhelmed during seven-year stay in the top flight

 Hamburg players leave the field after the match against Borussia Moenchengladbach on March 30, 2014. AFP

Hamburg the dinosaur’s time may be up in Bundesliga

Ever-present for 51 years in the German top-flight, Hamburg face the prospect of relegation, writes Ian Hawkey.

 At 105 kg, Gabrielle Garcia has dominated the world circuit and loves many things about being in Abu Dhabi. Ravindranath K / The National

Garcia seeks fresh challenge in MMA after her jiu-jitsu domination

Brazilian prides being a lioness in the sport but feels she can shed 25kg weight to pursue her MMA debut aspirations.

 England's Jonathan Trott hits out during the ICC Champions Trophy semi final match against South Africa at The Oval cricket ground, London June 19, 2013. REUTERS/Philip Brown

England’s Jonathan Trott sidelined with stress-related illness again

Jonathan Trott is to take a second break from professional cricket because of his stress-related illness as England and Wales Cricket Board and Warwickshire confirmed he will stop playing with immediate effect.

 Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho looks on during the Premier League match between Swansea City and Chelsea at the Liberty Stadium on April 13, 2014 in Swansea, Wales. Chris Brunskill/Getty Images

‘That’s why we are a top club’ says Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech

Jose Mourinho’s men will temporarily claim the Premier League top spot if they beat Sunderland, leaving them in control of their own destiny in the title race ahead of a crucial trip to face Liverpool at Anfield on April 27.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National