After winning by a whisker yesterday to draw even in their best-of-three semi-final against Azzurra in the Louis Vuitton Trophy Auckland, Emirates Team New Zealand came into today firing on all cylinders. So did the Italians. But the breeze did not and it was two-and-a-half hours before this do-or-die race could start. It could have gone either way, until the Kiwis took control in the second upwind leg; they went on to win by 27 seconds and join Mascalzone Latino Audi in the final. "Its always a sense of relief to get to the final," said ETNZ skipper Dean Barker. "The semis are quite often the ones where there's more on the line. In the final it's the best of five and we've now got an opportunity to really sail well. We know Mascalzone [have] sailed some really aggressive and strong races and we'll be ready for that." ETNZ stayed on board their boat while the ML Audi crew swapped places with Azzurra on board NZL92 to go straight into the first race of the finals. After a very close start, ETNZ was a length ahead at the first cross and controlled the first leg but ML Audi sneaked through at the downwind mark. With copybook sailing by both teams, the Kiwis slowly clawed their way back to win by just 12 seconds The "petit final" sail-off for third and fourth places, between Azzurra and the Swedish team, Artemis, was packed with incidents. Artemis took a penalty in the pre-start, then another at the beginning of the final run, obliging them to do one of the turns immediately. The game was up - but Artemis raised a red penalty flag in protest at Azzurra's using a different gennaker on the second run. The jury decided it was a legitimate substitution, due to damage to the first kite, thus confirming Azzurra's third place overall. The remaining races of the best-of-five final will be sailed tomorrow, with the start scheduled for 10am local time (1am UAE time). email@example.com
- Late strike puts Al Jazira on verge of qualifying for the last 16 of Asian Champions League
- Kallis kicks off IPL 7 with fifty as Kolkata thrash Mumbai
- Nadal, Federer and Wawrinka through to third round at Monte Carlo
- True Story – Saeed bin Suroor saddles another winner this week
- Competitors at Abu Dhabi Junior World Jiu-Jitsu Championship target world domination
- Time is almost up for Barcelona ahead of Copa del Rey
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Amir Khan says bout with Luis Collazo ‘will steal the show’ in Las Vegas on May 3
- In pictures: Shah Rukh Khan stars at IPL Gala dinner in Abu Dhabi
- Love it, hate it but IPL is too big to be ignored
- In pictures: Barca play a little rugby before Copa del Rey final
- Atletico’s Diego Simeone cannot stop Diego Costa move to Chelsea
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- History shines light on the true borders of Palestine
- Reduce speed limit buffer on UAE roads, experts urge
- Finishing touches to luxury Fortnum and Mason shop in Dubai
- American ‘has UAE Embassy documents’ to back up medicinal marijuana claim
- Nakheel to sell plots for hotels and resorts on Dubai’s Deira Islands
In pictures: Barca play a little rugby before Copa del Rey final
Barcelona and Real Madrid will play in the Copa del Rey final on Wednesday night but the day before the match, Braca players played a little rugby during a training session at Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper training camp, in Sant Joan Despi, Spain. Barca meet Real Madrid on Wednesday at 11.30pm (UAE time) and the match will be on BeIn Sports.
Asian Cup expanding to 24 football teams in 2019
As part of a regional shake-up, the 2019 Asian Cup will climb to 24 teams but next month’s Challenge Cup in the Maldives will be the last, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) announced.
Faisal Al Ketbi is in spotlight for world jiu-jitsu championships at Abu Dhabi
Faisal Al Ketbi is the poster boy for UAE jiu-jitsu, with his picture prominent in the billboards and advertisements for this week’s Abu Dhabi World Jiu-Jitsu Championship.
Al Ahli miss huge opportunity to progress in ACL
Dubai side forced to a goalless draw at home to Al Hilal. Ahmed Rizvi reports.
F1: Mercedes look to capitalise on woes at Red Bull and Ferrari
Ferrari were left reeling after team principal Stefano Domenicali quit and Red Bull were handed a setback when they lost their appeal for Daniel Ricciardo as both incidents have heightened the mood at Mercedes ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix.
Atletico’s Diego Simeone cannot stop Diego Costa move to Chelsea
Diego Costa has been the standout player for Atletico Madrid with his 26 goals, which has attracted the attention of several leading European clubs and Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea are reportedly at the front of the queue.