Omar NarvŠez has successfully defended his WBO flyweight title for the 15th time with a 10th-round victory over American Rayonta Whitfield in Puerto Madryn. The Argentinian won on a technical knockout to extend his record to 29 wins (18 knockouts) and two draws. NarvŠez's 15th defence eclipsed the Argentinian record, held since 1977 by Carlos Monzon, of 14 consecutive defences. NarvŠez gave away 10 centimetres in height to Whitfield, but fought more intelligently and managed to coax him in to close-range combat. The two opening rounds were quite even, but NarvŠez's domination then increased round by round until the Puerto Rican referee Samuel Viruet stopped the fight in the 10th with Whitfield unable to continue. The result ended Whitfield's unbeaten record, his record now reading 22 wins from 23 fights. NarvŠez, nicknamed El Huracan, first clinched the flyweight title in July 2002 when he beat the Nicaraguan Adonis Rivas at the Luna Park in Buenos Aires. *PA Sport
- ‘You always have to dig deep against Roger’ says Djokovic after edging Federer at Indian Wells
- ‘Very special moment’ to return to Chelsea, says Drogba
- ‘Hope we see a good version’ of Barcelona v Real Madrid, says Messi
- ‘Harder than I thought it would be? Yeah’ admits Moyes on United job
- Rosicky’s strike proves enough for Arsenal
- Hot start on ice for UAE in Challenge Cup of Asia
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Rooney says Manchester United’s 3-0 loss to Liverpool ‘a nightmare’
- In pictures: 2014 Abu Dhabi International Triathlon
- Sherwood, England’s great managerial hope, needs a success v Arsenal
- Manchester United pay the penalty for failed game plan against Liverpool
- ‘I don’t expect to be charged because I did nothing,’ Mourinho says
- Most Viewed
- Most Commented
- Federal Traffic Council approves proposal to lower UAE driving age
- Men ripped off woman’s clothes in bathroom, Abu Dhabi court hears
- Ties no longer mandatory for Dubai cabbies amid safety concerns
- Live blog: With the emergency workers at Rashid Hospital Trauma Centre
- Dubai launches mobile app to faciliate parking and payment
Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard spot on in 3-0 win against Manchester United
Two penalties from the Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and a Luis Suarez goal secured a famous win at Old Trafford as Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic was sent off for a fourth time in this fixture.
‘We need to prove to the world we are a better team,’ says Nepal cricket coach
The Himalayan nation were granted the chance to prove themselves to a wider audience after reaching Bangladesh via the qualifying event in the UAE at the end of last year.
Francois Botha and Danny Williams to headline second Thursday Night Fights
Botha (48-10) will draw hands with Williams (48-12) in a scheduled 10-round WPBF Inter-Continental heavyweight title fight as eight fights are on the card at the Emirates Gulf Club in Duabi on May 1.
Asia set to play large role at Dubai World Cup
Saeed bin Suroor and Godolphin provide four runners for home defence
‘I have wasted a lot of points in this race,’ Vettel says after Australian GP
The German four-time defending world champion, along with Mercedes’ 2008 winner Lewis Hamilton both only lasted a handful of laps in the season-opening race won by Nico Rosberg in a Mercedes.
‘This is not slit-your-wrist time,’ says 76ers coach after 20th straight NBA loss
Paul George scored 30 points and Indiana rallied from a 25-point second-quarter in a win, Joakim Noah had 23 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Bulls and John Wall helped rally the Wizards.