Text size:

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large

Still a chance for associate nations in 2015 cricket World Cup

The International Cricket Council president Sharad Pawar asked the governing body’s executive board to reconsider the composition of the tournament.

Associate nations such as Ireland could yet play a part at the 2015 World Cup after the International Cricket Council (ICC)president Sharad Pawar asked the governing body’s executive board to reconsider the composition of the tournament.

The decision to strip the World Cup back from 14 teams this year to only the 10 full member nations at the next edition of the competition was met with fury among the associates, especially the Irish side that performed admirably in the subcontinent.

Dissatisfaction among the associate and affiliate nations has since been communicated to Pawar and he has responded by requesting the executive board look again at the structure of the tournament.

The executive board meet again at the ICC annual conference in Hong Kong next month when the subject will be reopened.

While it had been agreed that the 2019 tournament would include a qualification period, the notion of preselecting the 10 teams for the 2015 World Cup, based simply on member status, caused the most ire.

William Porterfield, the Ireland captain, fresh from taking his side to the brink of quarter-final qualification after defeating England, termed the decision “an embarrassment and a joke”, while the chief executive Warren Deutrom vowed to pursue all avenues of appeal.

An ICC statement released today read: “After receiving representations from the associate and affiliate members of the ICC, the ICC President Mr Sharad Pawar has decided to request the ICC Executive Board to revisit the issue in Hong Kong in June.”

Pawar said: “I have given this matter further serious thought and will request the board to consider this topic once more. I can understand the views of the associates and affiliates and ICC will seek to deal with this issue in the best way possible.”

While it is unlikely the board will shift from its favoured 10-team stance, it may be persuaded to allow the top 10 ranked teams to contest the next World Cup or even introduce a play-off between the sides ranked 8th to 12th.


Like Ireland, the Netherlands acquitted themselves well in the recent World Cup and Richard Cox, chief executive of the Netherlands Cricket Board, was one of those involved in making the case to the ICC.

He told Press Association Sport: “We have been working feverishly behind the scenes to ascertain the status of the decision that was made.

“We believe it is a decision which can be challenged and by doing so through our representatives on the ICC board we have made representations, the outcome being that they are now prepared to look again at it.

“We have been in a series of meetings over the last week to prepare a document which has gone off to the ICC in Dubai and the result is the statement today from Sharad Pawar.”

Asked whether the associate nations had requested a preferred format as part of their discussions with the ICC, Cox said: “We don’t think it is our responsibility or our right to ask for 10 teams or 12 teams, what we are fundamentally agreed on is that the process of having a qualifying procedure is fundamentally appropriate for an organisation that represents 105 member countries.”

Back to the top

More articles


Editor's Picks

 Al Ahli's Ismail Al Hammadi, left, battles for the ball during the Arabian Gulf Cup final between against Al Jazira at Hazza bin Zayed Stadium on April 19, 2014. Al Hammadi hit the game-winner in the 81st minute for Ahli. Al Ittihad

Al Ahli maintain course for domestic treble with victory over Al Jazira in Arabian Gulf Cup

Al Ahli maintained their hopes of a domestic treble with a superb comeback victory against Al Jazira in the Arabian Gulf Cup final on Saturday night.

 Alex Kacaniklic, left, of Fulham tackles Christian Eriksen of Tottenham Hotspur during their Premier League match at White Hart Lane on April 19, 2014, in London, England. Clive Rose / Getty Images

Tottenham keep pace in chase for European places with victory over Fulham

Swansea appear to be safe after rallying past Newcastle while Crystal Palace continue their winning streak

 On a track described as a ‘tyre-killer’ in Shanghai, Lewis Hamilton went untested on his way to a 34th pole – the most by a British driver – yesterday. Carlos Barria / Reuters

Hamilton has sympathy for fans hung out to dry with wet tyre rules

The Briton takes his career's 34th pole - the most by a British driver - but sympathises it was not ideal for the ticket-paying public.

 Yuzvendra Chahal, centre, and the Royal Challengers Bangalore teammates celebrate after the bowlers set up an easy win over Mumbai Indians. Pawan Singh / The National

Bowlers set up Bangalore as Patel stand tall over Mumbai

Mumbai bowlers gave early hope but Parthiv Patel and AB de Villiers' unbeaten stand of 99 ensures second defeat for the men in blue in Dubai.

 Roelof Kotzee is leading UAE to unchartered territory. Sarah Dea / The National

UAE step into the unknown ahead of Asian Five Nations

Performance manager Roelof Kotze will give 12 players their first experience of international rugby, but there is also minimal information on Singapore ahead of first Test in Dubai on Wednesday, reports Paul Radley.

 Novak Djokovic of Serbia winces in pain during his semi-final match against Roger Federer of Switzerland at the Monte Carlo Masters on April 19, 2014. Federer prevailed to set up an all-Swiss final with Stanislas Wawrinka. SEBASTIEN NOGIER / EPA

Ailing Djokovic will ‘just rest now’ while Nadal not pressing the panic button

Djokovic says only rest will help is injured right wrist after he falls to Roger Federer on Saturday, and Nadal suffers just his third career defeat in Monte Carlo when he slumped to a shock 7-6, 6-4 quarter-final loss to compatriot Ferrer on Friday.

Events

To add your event to The National listings, click here

Get the most from The National